Dendroboard banner
21 - 36 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
By 'pump style mister' I was talking about what I'd recommend if a person were going to water the viv by hand (versus a Windex sort of trigger mister, which doesn't really work mostly because the volume emitted isn't sufficient).

MistKings are great tools, and if you use one just set the timer to do what your hand pump would otherwise have done. Hopefully my volume recommendations help dial this in; 5 second misting sessions aren't the way to do this, in my opinion, since it gets leaf surfaces wet (which should be the dry areas) and don't actually water the substrate (which should be the wet area). Too much volume at one time isn't a problem -- it is supposed to be a rainforest (I've read that one part of the trick that helped get Highland sirensis breeding well again was to have rain cycles measured in something closer to hours than to minutes -- though don't take it to this extreme as a general practice). Too frequently is bad, though, since surfaces need to get some drying time in between. All this is IMO and IME, so as always feel free to critique the reasoning behind these recommendations if they call for it.

BTW, after rereading that recipe I added a bit about making sure you mist at least once per day when frogs are in there. When a person ignores RH numbers, and has appropriate ventilation, daily misting needs will be obvious from just looking at the viv, but I thought it worth clarifying. :)
I put the factory top on and cut the plexi glass squares in, only in two so there is plenty of ventilation, the mites are gone I have not seen them since I took the moss out, changed the lids and began misting once a day. I believe I have that part figured out/humidity my soil seems to be no longer crunchy, it is worrisome having to simply eye it being a beginner and all but I think I’ve got it figured out! My next question is can I use a space heater in the room to keep the vivarium warm? I live in the mountains so it’s getting cold quicker and gets colder here. I am wary of using a heating mat because I have the vivarium on a padded surface on wood and the whole idea of a heat Mat sounds very risky. If I cannot use a space heater do you know of any other options?

·
Super Moderator
2,975 Posts
Heating the room to a stable temperature is the safest way to keep the frogs at a desirable temperature. So yes, a space heater sounds like a good idea.

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
Heat mats are quite safe, but they don't (and were never intended/designed to) warm something like a frog enclosure well at all. A space heater warming the room is a great option. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Heat mats are quite safe, but they don't (and were never intended/designed to) warm something like a frog enclosure well at all. A space heater warming the room is a great option. :)
I'll upvote this from experience- Space heaters have inherent fire danger about them, but so does almost any heat source. Not to mention, a space heater actually does what you hope to get, which is higher air temperatures. Heat pads meant for reptiles have a negligible effect on air temperature, so they're pretty much useless for darts. Really, they're only useful for things like raising baby reptiles in small bins, where localized, direct heat is hard to provide with other means.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was going to get frogs from Josh’s frogs but now that I’ve been misled by their information I was curious if you recommend buying from them or from someone else? And the vivarium is in my room actually beside my desk, I’m homeschooled so I would be doing school beside the vivarium I have a cockatiel whom is very loud and enjoys repeating things, it’s hard doing school with that, so my question is do you recommend a quiet calling dart frog or do you think I would still be able to focus with a louder calling frog? I’m definitely wanting one of the biggest and only getting two so I’m not limited on which frog but I’m struggling with deciding where to get them, what kind would best suit the enclosure and the situation. The vivarium is 24Lx18Wx18H when I say louder and quieter I’m talking about Tincts and Teribilis (I believe I spelled those wrong, I apologize for that)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im actually looking at getting my first "complete dart kit" setup from Josh's frogs too, glad I came upon this post so I can ditch the hydrometer and moss layer. But really ditch the glass top too? On their website it recommends a glass top to keep the humidity levels high. Is Josh's frogs the best place to get frogs from? I am likely getting 2 yellow terribs in a 24x18x18 viv.

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
As a rule (in the typical sense of that phrase, and also literally), we don't review vendors here in the discussion sections. If you're looking to find out the quality of animals from a vendor, search that vendor's name here and read the posts -- folks will say 'I got these cool frogs from so and so, and....'. You can also intuit some things from posts made in a vendor's own subforum here (which Josh's has), where the vendor review restriction is not in place.

Note that quality of animals, quality of customer service, and quality of husbandry information given by any vendor may not inform on the other categories. Sometimes they might, though. And sometimes, a person may want to chose (or avoid) a vendor because of only one of those categories -- e.g. someone's customer service may be so bad that I don't want to get animals from them even if the are the best animals in the world (I'm not at all saying that's an issue in this case, but it is in the larger reptile hobby that I tend to inhabit).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
As a rule (in the typical sense of that phrase, and also literally), we don't review vendors here in the discussion sections. If you're looking to find out the quality of animals from a vendor, search that vendor's name here and read the posts -- folks will say 'I got these cool frogs from so and so, and....'. You can also intuit some things from posts made in a vendor's own subforum here (which Josh's has), where the vendor review restriction is not in place.

Note that quality of animals, quality of customer service, and quality of husbandry information given by any vendor may not inform on the other categories. Sometimes they might, though. And sometimes, a person may want to chose (or avoid) a vendor because of only one of those categories -- e.g. someone's customer service may be so bad that I don't want to get animals from them even if the are the best animals in the world (I'm not at all saying that's an issue in this case, but it is in the larger reptile hobby that I tend to inhabit).
If I bought froglets, they would be small enough to lose/not see in the vivarium or is it safe to just add them into the vivarium right away? Or do you have to wait until they are larger and if so what do you keep them in during that time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)

Another question I just thought of, they say not to mix morphs of tincs due to creating new morphs and that a size difference may cause aggression, I’m questioning everything I’ve read now, so is there another reason? I would for sure have to get two of the same frog and not be able mix tincs correct?

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
is there another reason?
The reasons you mention, plus pathogen transfer, pathogen hybridization from genetic mixing like that that is killing the world's frogs right now (and mixing of pathogens that have yet to be discovered, discovery that is ongoing and will be until the heat death of the universe), habitat preference differences, and more that simply don't leap to mind right now.

Search the term 'mixing' here. Make coffee. Send out for pizza. Cancel your appointments for today and tomorrow. Lots of info to digest on this.

On the froglet issue, search 'quarantine' and 'froglet setup' and look at all the considerations. It is different in each case, for each species, for each keeper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The reasons you mention, plus pathogen transfer, pathogen hybridization from genetic mixing like that that is killing the world's frogs right now (and mixing of pathogens that have yet to be discovered, discovery that is ongoing and will be until the heat death of the universe), habitat preference differences, and more that simply don't leap to mind right now.

Search the term 'mixing' here. Make coffee. Send out for pizza. Cancel your appointments for today and tomorrow. Lots of info to digest on this.

On the froglet issue, search 'quarantine' and 'froglet setup' and look at all the considerations. It is different in each case, for each species, for each keeper.
I have researched as you advised and i understand the no mixing rules now, I am however not finding anything that is helping with how to house the froglets. Do you happen to have a specific link? The only information I have been able to gather is some use paper towels as a substrate, and change it every two days but it has draw backs and others use Sphagnum moss and I am worried that if I try the Sphagnum moss method I will have mites again, because I removed the moss as suggested and have had no more mite issues. I have just not found anywhere that says specific ways to keep them, of course there is Josh’s frogs but I am wary of trusting their information.

·
Super Moderator
2,975 Posts
For my froglet growout bins I use 20L bins, with a hole of about 2"x4" in the top (cover the hole in screen).
I keep mine on a mix of peat moss and coco husk , tons and tons of leaf litter, and a clump of sphagnum moss in one corner (this is the only time I use sphagnum moss except as part of a cork bark mosaic background) so that there's always a really moist area if they want it.

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
I have a couple froglet growouts made from 5.5 g fish tanks, drilled for low vents, with filter foam and layers of leaf litter, and live plants and cork hides.

I also use a couple 12 x 12 x 24 that are more or less full-blown display vivs (no backgrounds, though, as I don't do backgrounds) but since those are somewhat harder to strip and disinfect after a batch of frogs, I only run the same frog family's kids through each one.

21 - 36 of 35 Posts