Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 long vert tank and am sick of misting it 4 times a day with a home depot squirt bottle. I want to buy the starter mist king system. Is it worth to buy the bigger pump? I want 3-4 nozzles in the tank. One in the center top, far left and right corners, and maybe one near the back aiming a bit forward/down. Is this too much for the pump to run? I've heard the pump the starter comes with is kinda weak, and it might be a good idea to get the stronger pump. Also, how do I drill the glass? In a 20 long, the glass is about 1/4 inch thick. I don't want to break the glass at all. Should I buy a diamond bit and lubricate the glass with cold water? I've never drilled glass before and if it breaks i'm f#*%ing screwed if it breaks. How big should the hole be? I've heard 5/16. Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Don't know about the pump since I've yet to order mine but search you tube for some good how to videos on glass drilling. Order the diamond bit on ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
To me it seems like a really bad idea to drill a tank that has already been set up and will soon house frogs. Imagine how awful it might be for the frog if it were to swallow a tiny sliver of glass or the infections that could develop from an open cut that occurs after hopping on top of a shard. Just seems to me that learning to enjoy spending a little time with your tank might be the way to go. Will your tank not keep humidity up with just a single daily misting?

·
Registered
15 Posts
To me it seems like a really bad idea to drill a tank that has already been set up and will soon house frogs
Why would he drill the lid while it is on top of the tank? If he did, it would probably break. He should drill it properly, under a running water source, with some wood underneath. There won't be any glass in the tank. I don't know what you are thinking, but I'm guessing you are wrong.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Why would he drill the lid while it is on top of the tank? If he did, it would probably break. He should drill it properly, under a running water source, with some wood underneath. There won't be any glass in the tank. I don't know what you are thinking, but I'm guessing you are wrong.
Its a verticle tank. There is no lid on the top. Where is the shaved glass from drilling going to fall? Inside the tank thats planted and already set up

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THe humidity will stay at 80-100% with 1-2 mistings a day, but it's hard to mist a tank that big by hand. I also plan on buying and setting up many more tanks, and imagine 10 tanks being misted by hand. Good point on the glass shards and frogs, but I didn't think it'd be so hard to mist. This is my first "big" tank (not really huge, but bigger than anything i'd ever do.) Yes, since it's a custom vert tank the top is the right ride of a fishtank, so it's siliconed and has a rim around it, so I can't take it out. I was thinking holding a piece of plywood under it and have the mister running water over where i'm drilling so the glass won't break and I don't have to take apart my whole tank.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have only drilled a couple of holes, at 1 1/2 inch diamater but i would never drill a hole on a completed tank, once you start drilling the water will carry the glass shavings away but once you start to break through the glass that water is going to go inside your tank, i dont see how you can catch all that water with the glass shavings in it.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're serious, that's a good idea. But i'm still worried about the glass cracking!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just started drilling tanks today for the future addition of mistking. I will say the shards get everywhere. You don't notice it till the water drys and there is a chalk like film on everything. I'm in the same boat as you and have two tanks already set up that I want to drill. With the risk of cracking, and then the shavings I'm just going to drill all of my emptys and future tanks and leave these two alone till I'm ready to tear them 100% down. I have a few tanks and a large tortoise enclosure. When I got tired of misting I went down to lows and bought a 1 gallon lawn sprayer. Normally used for spraying pesticide on gardens. They don't come with poison though so they are safe to use. Just a few good pumps and you get a fine mist not you can't find with a water bottle that last a few mins before you need to pump again. Made life a lot easier and is great for flushing broms.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You ask some wild questions... a lot... lol. :)

A mistking system for just a 20 is kind of crazy. 4 nozzles in a single tank is wow. Overkill. You will drown that tank. Pressurized misting is VERY different to a hand spray bottle.

Go buy you a $7 hand pump mister from lowes... I water my whole rack and displays in about 3 mins with it and can water roughly twice before I have to pump it again, and only takes about 5 pumps to get back up to some crazy pressure. Can spray a few ounces in seconds. I did the $1 spray bottle method til I got more tanks. I will never turn back now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's an option but with the size of your tank , if you don't already have the bits and everything it's probably cheaper and safer to just get a sheet predrilled and replace the top you have now.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You ask some wild questions... a lot... lol. :)

A mistking system for just a 20 is kind of crazy. 4 nozzles in a single tank is wow. Overkill. You will drown that tank. Pressurized misting is VERY different to a hand spray bottle.

Go buy you a $7 hand pump mister from lowes... I water my whole rack and displays in about 3 mins with it and can water roughly twice before I have to pump it again, and only takes about 5 pumps to get back up to some crazy pressure. Can spray a few ounces in seconds. I did the $1 spray bottle method til I got more tanks. I will never turn back now.
4 nozzles for 1 minute once a day, not really overkill if you have a huge false bottom in. My plants are loving being msted many times a day. It will also water the plants and mosses very well. From what everyone is saying, I probably will buy a huge hand mister. I don't really want a layer of glass on everything, thanks rentapig! lol. Also, i've used pressurized misting one. It does put out more water than hand misting, but I want that. It also really cools down my tank. It stays at 80-85f during the day, with a few frozen water bottles on and in it, with the window open.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Mistking starter and was worried that one nozzle would not be enough so I ordered 2 for my 18x18x24 and one would have been enough. I mist for 15 seconds 6 times a day and the tank stays between 89 and 91% humidity. It also uses about 1 gallon every 2 weeks. I like it so much I just ordered another one to mist 2 tanks side by side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts