Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having to set up another tank. I like the idea of a natural waterfall but in the past Ive tried twice and they are such a pain when soil falls in the water and the pump gets plugged up. I also hate the water getting black and really crappy looking. Does anyone have suggestions for keeping water clean? Is there a way to eliminate soil from contacting it? Im thinking not having a fall but just a pump to circulate a shallow pool and keep it from getting stagnant.

Mistking? Is this a problem for people who dont have a drain hole? Does it build up or does it regulate itself into the environment through the plants and such? I just wouldnt want my water levels to get too high. Not sure I really have the money for one right now but I like to plan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a water feature and a Mistking with 3 nozzles. I've played around with the timing and figured out it takes three 30 second interval mistings per day to keep up with evaporation. The water level stays pretty constant at this amount. I have a computer fan and a heat pad on the side that are both on during the 12 hour day cycle which make the water evaporate quicker than without. When I first had the kit I was at 2 minutes per day and it slowly rose the water level over time, but it was very gradual.

I use an external filter to feed the waterfall. It's a Zoo Med TC-30. I fashioned a holder for it out of a wire coat hanger. I used to have a smaller turtle one in the tank, but this one is better since you don't have to reach in the tank to change the elements.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wjesse, thats awesome to hear! Thanks for the info exactly what I needed. So does the pump actually cycle the water out of the tank and then back in or? Also, does your water run through the driftwood? That looks awesome.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks! I just finished rebuilding it this weekend to suite my 4 new Veradero Imitators I got. I'm hoping they raise their own tads in the front water portion so I can watch them grow.

The water is drawn out of the tank through underneath the false bottom, then filtered in the external pump and ran back in through the waterfall. I don't really like the orange tint my water has, but I'm hoping it goes away once I do a few partial water changes. I assume it is just tannins from the wood in my tank.

This is the second time I used Touch & Foam Landscape expanding foam for a background and both times it has worked awesome- and it's only $8. I just laid my cork bark chunks and wood pieces in place, then sprayed it on and packed coco fiber/ sphagnum moss on it and waited until it dried.

One thing I didn't think about was the foam continuing to expand past the initial few minutes when I was working with it. When I set everything up and plugged in the water pump it wouldn't work because the foam had expanded and hardened up into the water tube! Luckily I was able to shove a straightened wire coat hanger down through the line and break loose the blockage without having to tear it all down again to replace the line- whew!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think you had a good idea to put the small water area in the front. I might do the same but instead of trying to separate it via plexi or whatever I am just using some clay and then will make a mold and cast it in a hard plastic. Its not convenient for those who dont know how or dont have the supplies but in my case I need to use up some before their shelf life goes.

How about the length of the hose? My tank is a 29 gallon tall and would have to be fed to the front so would need to go the height of the tank and then another 15" or so? Is this too long of a tube run? I really dont want to mess with a pump inside I have just had horrible luck with them and they all seem to go bad after a certain amount of time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not positive, but I don't think length is as important as the height of your pump. I tried running the pump from below the tank and it wouldn't work. When I found a way to mount it on the upper part of the tank it works great. I bought a very long piece of tube at Home Depot then trimmed it down to probably two 36" pieces.

That molded plastic idea sounds really cool. I'd like to see how that turns out!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes for sure man, Ill have to take some pictures and post. I did order the rock back for it, the exo terra one I just really like the look of it and bought a huge cork bark piece I might stand up in the middle, it has a really nice hollowed out area for the frogs to hide in. I did the soil walls on my last one and while it does look nice i jsut hate how it keeps drying and crumbling off leaving spaces. I also havent been able to get my plants to grow or stay alive very well. The ones I hate grow like weeds wouldnt you know. NEVER get plants from pet stores they look horrible! I need some easy to grow ones that have some nice color.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I scrapped the idea of the damn water feature...just a pain like in the past, instead Im happy to say I bit the bullet and bought a mistking. Yay!

·
Registered
113 Posts
You'll love your new Mist King. I spent a long time deciding if it was worth it or not and I'm happy to say it was worth every penny! It immediately made my plants healthier too. I had a Habba Mist before so the upgrade was pretty extreme.

You may be able to time it in a way where the water will evaporate before you need to drain it if you have a heater or a fan?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have a fan and partial screened top so not too worried about overdoing it, plus I only have one nozzle and wont run it more than a few times a day for a minute or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts