Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a MistKing....how many time a day are you guys setting it to spray and for how many seconds? Total of nine tanks the smallest ones being the 12x12x18 Exo Terras and then some 18 cubes.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
That can be pretty variable depending on if you have drains in the tanks or not. If no drains, then once a day for 30-60 seconds can be fine, depending on tank size. Just make sure to maintain air gap in false bottom.

Just a note, the timer that Mist King sells will allow many schedules. I use it so that I have a dry side of the week and a wet side of the week. The plants seem to like being soaked, then getting time to dry out a bit. Again, though, that's a lot of water and I have drains installed..

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Some of the older builds don't have drains. Can you drill a hole in a tank that is currently occupied?
I wouldn't try it. Drilling glass requires that the surface to be drilled is laying flat so that a dam can be placed around the drill site to hold coolant, meaning that the tank would have to be turned on its side, end, or upside down. The process creates a large amount of glass dust slurry and sometimes chips of glass which would end up inside the tank, and it is a very loud process (think nails on a chalkboard).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine are all drilled. I mist every 5 hours for 3 minutes. I change this at times depending on seasons. As far as drilling, I agree with Tony. The tanks need to be on a flat surface. I flip mine upside down on my driveway and run the garden house on low while I drill. This has worked for me for years, and I haven't cracked a tank yet- knock on wood. Well except the one that I was told wasn't tempered. That was not a pretty site. LOL

Jim

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah..the old turkey baster isn't such a big deal when you're only dealing with two or three tanks....ten-twelve it starts to get a little annoying.:D

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I mist for 30 seconds in the morning, 30 seconds in the afternoon, and 15 second at night. Basically to correspond with typical rainfall patterns of the tropics. Everything seems to do pretty well with that. I've got fans on my tanks, so that dries the plants out pretty quick.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Air Flow and Ambient Air Temperature will also effect the Length of time needed to Mist .
Also How much the Vivarium is sealed.
Other factors such as soil, ground cover, plants effect the Need for misting also.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I run about 2-5 gallons through 10 tanks including the 75 gal once a day. All but one of my tanks is drilled. I have a valve installed on that misting head so i can limit the water that viv gets to keep from having to empty it too often. I used to water only 30 seconds a couple times a day but have noticed the benedicta and retics respond positively to a good long heavy rainfall. Especially the benedicta that become rediculously bold afterward.

That and too many times the seconds timer has failed on me runnign the pump dry all day long.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow...I definately don't mist that much...nor could I without all the tanks drilled. I do agree about how it affects different frogs. My Auratus rush out when it starts and seem almost dissappointed when its over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts