Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've run into the problem of having to mist entirely too many tanks at once. A great solution would be a misting system. I've decided on the brand, but the problem is I can't figure out if my idea for setting it up will work efficiently or even at all..

I can't find ANY info on install threads of these things on here or anywhere else for that matter.. Sure many build threads show 1-10 tanks with misting systems, but they aren't done like this to make me get some perspective.

If anyone can find otherwise, please feel free to openly post it so I feel like an idiot. ;)

I want the main tubing line to be attached to the rack above the tanks (anywhere from 5-10 inches above the glass tops) rather than through the nozzles running across tank lids, which seems how most peoples set-ups are. That being said, I will need a TON of T fittings and 90 degree ones as well, OR possibly no 90s and simply run the line from the T straight down into the misting nozzle assembly itself. That would add $700 to the price if I need both, or $350 for just the Ts.

I'm typing this as I'm thinking it, but it may still not make any sense. (I've confused myself about 200 times just trying to figure out how many nozzles alone I will need, so juts imagine this crazy install on top of it..)

Hopefully this gives a better idea. (don't comment on horrible art skills, my mouse is too touchy)

Basically it needs to go something like this

Untitled by ericbradish, on Flickr

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm assuming you're using a mistking system, and if so, then this is entirely possible. The threaded portion of the misting nozzle is basically a bulkhead, and instead of putting the T or elbow directly into it, you can cut the 5-10" of tubing you need, put one end into the nozzle and run the other one up to the T's, and then connect the T's in a series from the pump. This is definitely do-able. My only concern is that if you have a zip-drip valve, will its effectiveness be hindered by this setup?

Also, are you zip-tying the top T-valves to the shelf above?

Finally, consider how your actual light fixture(s) block or don't block the misting system, as this may or may not remove the need to do this whole thing. That's assuming that you want the horizontal tubing out of the way because visually it isn't appealing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mistking was the route I was going to go. I've read too many mixed things about various other brands..

I wondered about the zipdrip valve as well because with the extra lengths of tubing I don't know how all of the water would come out.. Either way though, as long as the pump isn't running constantly trying to get it out and isn't making the outrageous electric bill any higher, I honestly don't care.

Zip-ties usually are a solution to everything, but being I don't know how fragile the tubing is I was thinking of drilling holes in the center braces that are scattered across them and using zipties to those rather than the shelf base itself. Seems more sturdy imo.

My lights are generally high enough up and placed directly over the center of the top opening tanks. They can easily be opened enough to fit a cup of bugs in the tank and move around a bit. The nozzles will go in the back portion so I don't think the lights will interfere with anything besides my 20 vert rack which I didn't build. It had custom built lighting if I recall, so I don't really have access to the design of that stuff now..

I could sorta fix the issue by simply raising the shelf around 2 inches, but that would have to happen to even put the nozzles in regardless. That rack also has to have the tubing ran straight though T nozzles as well due to space limitations/light placement. I don't think it's good to have the light fixture touching the tubing in any way..

I've been trying to draw a room layout to get my own visual idea, but it's quite difficult because I'm going to shift different size tanks to new areas. I just need to get rid of all those damn impulse buy Exo-Terras first.. haha

I'm assuming you're using a mistking system, and if so, then this is entirely possible. The threaded portion of the misting nozzle is basically a bulkhead, and instead of putting the T or elbow directly into it, you can cut the 5-10" of tubing you need, put one end into the nozzle and run the other one up to the T's, and then connect the T's in a series from the pump. This is definitely do-able. My only concern is that if you have a zip-drip valve, will its effectiveness be hindered by this setup?

Also, are you zip-tying the top T-valves to the shelf above?

Finally, consider how your actual light fixture(s) block or don't block the misting system, as this may or may not remove the need to do this whole thing. That's assuming that you want the horizontal tubing out of the way because visually it isn't appealing.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I am confused as to why you want to raise them up like that. Sure it is do-able, but why?
Keep in mind that your nozzles will drip quite a bit more each time they shut off. There will be more noise, more hissing and gurgling each time the system turns on as it refills empty hoses.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be perfectly honest, I don't even know.
I guess it sounded like a better idea than it really is since I've never seen it done and wanted to be the first I guess.. haha

The more I think about it I guess it would be easier to just run the lines like normal people do..

I am confused as to why you want to raise them up like that. Sure it is do-able, but why?
Keep in mind that your nozzles will drip quite a bit more each time they shut off. There will be more noise, more hissing and gurgling each time the system turns on as it refills empty hoses.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Untitled1 by ericbradish, on Flickr

I can't draw straight lines in real life either, so I guess this isn't too bad.

But that's an idea of how the room will look. The one rack isn't there yet, but I'm in the process of rearranging stuff. The picture isn't to scale either if anyone noticed, so the room isn't actually THAT big. There's room to walk around and stuff but it isn't open like it seems.

The far left will be the 10g wall, bottom left is 20 vert rack, center is 55g and 10gs on top, but I think I'm going to make some more 20 verts/10 verts for there, two touching in center will be 20g standards on two shelves, supplies on top. The rest are supplies/bugs.

Honestly, I think I should start saving to finish the basement so I don't have to worry about a room worth close to all of the cars I've owned caving in and smashing to millions of pieces.:rolleyes:

Worst part about it is in a couple years this is all moving to the basement and will be completely different. I guess it wouldn't matter though as the tubing itself isn't expensive.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I've done some searching and the only difference I can really see between the value/premium nozzles is price/aesthetics. By going the value route for the exact same number of fittings/nozzles would be roughly $1000 less than the premium. It really sucks I prefer the look of the premiums, but as long as the value models are durable enough I guess it won't much matter as the mist is nearly identical from the videos.

If anyone has experience with BOTH, please feel free to chime in.

I only have a few tanks drilled for 1/2" so far and it appears the value/premium nozzle bulkheads can accept either style fitting being they're both 1/4" OD. In other words, I could simply swap out the value bulkhead on 8 nozzles for the premium and solve that issue. I may be wrong, but that's how it seems to me..

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The pattern and "lightness" of the mist itself is the same through either value or premium nozzles. The difference is that the premium is a heavier duty "glass reinforced" nylon. The standard is plenty heavy duty enough though. The other difference would be the metal collar as opposed to a plastic/nylon collar on the value. The only other difference is the premium 1/2" hole size as opposed to the 5/8" standard. Mixing and matching on the same system shouldn't be a problem.
You mention saving $1000. How many vivs are you going to be misting with this system?! How many misters per viv? Sounds like a whole lot of misters!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically, I just don't want to spend all this time/money and end up having some sort of mishap regarding faulty connections. The reason it would be 1k cheaper is the fact the fittings alone are half the price, and the nozzles are around 400ish less for the same quantity (comparing value to premium). I prefer the look of the premium ones, but being these aren't "display worthy" tanks I suppose it isn't necessary.

I'm not certain just yet, but I figure 1 nozzle per 10 or 20g then atleast 2-3 per 50+g tank should easily be sufficient. I don't actually have them all yet being I guess I missed the petco dollar a gallon sale, AGAIN. However, the 20g tanks don't matter on brands as much that 10gs do. The only thing I have to look for is the ones that have that stupid extra ridge thing on the frame. I HATE those.. it's not really big enough to make a huge difference on glass sizing from what one would think, but in reality something [ ] far off is huge when it comes to keeping those damn fruitflies contained.. haha

The pattern and "lightness" of the mist itself is the same through either value or premium nozzles. The difference is that the premium is a heavier duty "glass reinforced" nylon. The standard is plenty heavy duty enough though. The other difference would be the metal collar as opposed to a plastic/nylon collar on the value. The only other difference is the premium 1/2" hole size as opposed to the 5/8" standard. Mixing and matching on the same system shouldn't be a problem.
You mention saving $1000. How many vivs are you going to be misting with this system?! How many misters per viv? Sounds like a whole lot of misters!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I am not so sure about this, my premium nozzles produce a very fine mist while my standards produce a lightly heavier mist and a few do not even spray in the appropriate pattern. More like streams one way and another. I think quality of misting head is also a factor in the premiums.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I am not so sure about this, my premium nozzles produce a very fine mist while my standards produce a lightly heavier mist and a few do not even spray in the appropriate pattern. More like streams one way and another. I think quality of misting head is also a factor in the premiums.
Maybe you got some foreign particles stuck in your lines to cause this? My value misters do not stream in any way. Besides the fact that my information is straight from Marty. In fact it says so on his site. Here is the exact quote lifted from Marty's site.
Even though these are completely different nozzles as far as quality goes, both create identical mist. If you're on a budget then Value nozzles are the way to go.
When MistKing was started we only had the premium line. Some of our customers still ask for them so we stock them. Our value nozzles are by far the most popular and for 1 premium nozzle sold, we tend to sell about 20 value nozzles.

Here is the link to this page on his site if anyone wants to check. MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd
Sorry D3monic, not trying to shoot you down, but the op has some serious cash to save here.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and see what my options are..

I changed the layout idea slightly though being I'd rather have a taller/narrower FF rack so I can see the 20g rack better. But either way, there still has to be splits in the connections to make this work and I don't know where the Ts should go as compared to running the line in a sequence.

Maybe you got some foreign particles stuck in your lines to cause this? My value misters do not stream in any way. Besides the fact that my information is straight from Marty. In fact it says so on his site. Here is the exact quote lifted from Marty's site.
Even though these are completely different nozzles as far as quality goes, both create identical mist. If you're on a budget then Value nozzles are the way to go.
When MistKing was started we only had the premium line. Some of our customers still ask for them so we stock them. Our value nozzles are by far the most popular and for 1 premium nozzle sold, we tend to sell about 20 value nozzles.

Here is the link to this page on his site if anyone wants to check. MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd
Sorry D3monic, not trying to shoot you down, but the op has some serious cash to save here.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Eric, email me how you will have the room laid out and how many tanks per rack and I will help you design the system. Also, tell me where your want to stash the reservoir and the pump. marty {at} mistking.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts