Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to think of a way to get a cheaper misting system built as i've already bought two of the Big Apple Herp systems. I don't want to dish out the dough for the Rainmaker and i don't want to build one using a garden sprayer. So i took a close look at the pumps that came with the Big Apple systems and saw a little "Flojet" logo. So i went to Flojet.com and found that they do indeed make these pumps. Check out this link:

http://www.flojet.com/prodInfoApp/s...ogId=Industrial&categoryId=FIESP&typeId=FISP4

That is the exact pump from the Big Apple system. I haven't called any of their distributor's to find a price for it, but my bet is that these will be a heckuva lot cheaper. All that would be needed would be an extension cord to wire onto the pump, tubing, nozzles, a timer (found the same ones at Home Depot for $20), and a reservoir.

·
Registered
850 Posts
There are several different brands of digital timers that most hardware store should carry, Timex, Intermatic, etc. They all work good with misting systems. I use the timex digital timer and it only cost my $15. Hope this helps.

G

·
You will probably want a pump with more pressure than that. Some where around 200psi will power multiple misting heads whereas something like 50psi will only power a couple. The type of pump you want to research is called a piston pump, make sure its got plastic or stainless parts instead of brass or copper.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the same pump that i have on the two misting systems i bought from Big Apple Herp. I know its only 55 psi, but they say it will power up to 20 nozzles. I was thinking it would be beneficial to get this pump directly from the source rather than buying it from another reseller (Big Apple) and paying that much more.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know yet, called my local distributor but the person that coule help me had already left for the weekend. I'll call again on monday.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've been down that road, Mindcrash. I'm hopeful that you get a better answer than I did. If you get better news than I did, we'll celebrate here. :lol: You have to buy in some serious numbers (like lots of 100) to get a price break to make it any cheaper than what Big Apple Herp is selling the systems for.

I did put together a misting system cheaper than the Big Apple herp system, but it will only reliably power about 3 heads with any length on the hose and the motor is not supposed to be run for more than 1 minute. I've been using this one since January, and I was hoping to put together something for hobbyists to be able to buy for under $50 . . . but making the numbers work has been more difficult than I first thought. :evil: If you can get it done, YOU DA MAN! :D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
So what happened to the windshield washer fluid pumps people were talking about? Were they not strong enough?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, just got off the phone with the supplier. She told me the pumps are $37.30 apiece and there is no minimum order. Add another $20 or so for a digital timer and the cost of a bucket, hose, and nozzles, and it should be significantly cheaper then the commercial systems.

If anyone is interested I can order some pumps for a group buy.

PM me if your interested.

G

·
Wow that's an amazing price. Makes me feel stupid for buying the vivaria misting kit for $120. At that price you could buy a bunch and sell them for 50 bucks through here and still be doing us all a valuable service.

Nice work!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, it will be easiest to just give everyone the info.

Here is the pump info:
Flojet Solenoid Pump ($37.30 from my local distributor)
OSC Pump HF 115V VT 25PK
Part #: ET508-324

To find your local distributor, go to http://www.flojet.com and click the Distributor Locator at the bottom of the page. Fill out your info, and in the last box named "market" select industrial, as this product is in their industrial line.

Hope this can save everyone a buck or two.

·
Registered
313 Posts
alright so browsing through flojet's site and i'm curious, what does it mean when it says "runs dry for short periods"?
does this mean that it can startup with no fluid in it without
hurting the life of the pump? or does this mean its only for intermitten use... the description says that it can run for >1000hrs constantly...
just curious

1 - 20 of 39 Posts