Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the hobby and am setting up my first tank (20 gal high for a pair of leucs). I finished planting everything this week and set up an Exo-Terra Monsoon Solo misting system. I only have one nozzle set up in the upper right corner. Will that be enough to water all the plants in the tank? Or do I need to get a second nozzle head for the other side? Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I am new to the hobby and am setting up my first tank (20 gal high for a pair of leucs). I finished planting everything this week and set up an Exo-Terra Monsoon Solo misting system. I only have one nozzle set up in the upper right corner. Will that be enough to water all the plants in the tank? Or do I need to get a second nozzle head for the other side? Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

If this is a vertical then you should be good with just one. If its horizontal and the monsoon is like the mistking for spread (my only experience being with the mistking) then I would add a second nozzle in the other corner. But since you already have the thing setup, why not try it and see?

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Hello -- welcome to Dendroboard!

I'm not sure of your viv design, so you may have figured this out already, or it may be too late, but having a drain drilled in a viv is strongly recommended when using an automatic mister -- much more so with a Monsoon, which have a high failure rate, sometimes in the 'on' position.

The Monsoon's reservoir isn't large enough to drown frogs in a failure situation, but having a drain makes a flood much more easy to deal with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this is a vertical then you should be good with just one. If its horizontal and the monsoon is like the mistking for spread (my only experience being with the mistking) then I would add a second nozzle in the other corner. But since you already have the thing setup, why not try it and see?
Cool. Thanks for the input! I'll see how my plants are doing over the next few days and see what adjustments I need to make.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello -- welcome to Dendroboard!

I'm not sure of your viv design, so you may have figured this out already, or it may be too late, but having a drain drilled in a viv is strongly recommended when using an automatic mister -- much more so with a Monsoon, which have a high failure rate, sometimes in the 'on' position.

The Monsoon's reservoir isn't large enough to drown frogs in a failure situation, but having a drain makes a flood much more easy to deal with.
I have a tube in the back and a siphon so that if the drainage layer gets to full I can siphon water out. Would that be sufficient?

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
I have a tube in the back and a siphon so that if the drainage layer gets to full I can siphon water out. Would that be sufficient?
What a person would ideally do is figure out what would happen in a worst case scenario (drainage layer full, and mister with full reservoir fails 'on', and no one home to see it), and think about what would happen. Some systems would tolerate such a case, some not so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a person would ideally do is figure out what would happen in a worst case scenario (drainage layer full, and mister with full reservoir fails 'on', and no one home to see it), and think about what would happen. Some systems would tolerate such a case, some not so much.
Gotcha. It's too late to drill a hole, but I appreciate your advice. I'll keep an extra close eye on the drainage layer (LECA, about 3" thick) so that it can handle a potential misting system failure.

Also, I was a Latin and Greek language and literature major in college, and your username absolutely cracked me up.

Thanks again for the warning of potential failures with the Monsoon. I wanted a MistKing, but I was able to snag this one new for $50.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Also, I was a Latin and Greek language and literature major in college, and your username absolutely cracked me up.
Yes, the Platonic "dialogues" are a hoot. I'm still trying to figure out how to get everyone I meet on the street to agree with everything I say, as Socrates did. That guy was a rock star.

I chose Latin for my foreign language requirement in grad school, but now even teaching it to my daughter is quite challenging for me. Your brain works differently than mine, I suspect. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is how I did my first viv. Then it grew in, and grew some more. Now that capped PVC pipe section in the back is difficult to access. Next viv I put it in a front corner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts