Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I have to leave town for my brothers wedding soon and I realized that my tank will be left unattended.

For the most part I hand mist once every day. I could/should probably mist even more as there is no standing water in the false bottom. I'm worried about leaving it for so long without misting which would maybe be 5 days.

For anyone unfamiliar, this is my tank.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Looks like you don’t have any frogs in there yet. What is the ventilation like in the tank? Assuming you’ve got vents in the top, how about covering them with glass to keep the humidity in, and spraying well before you leave?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Even with frogs, if there is a concern about drying out, just cover the vents. If it is temporary, not big deal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you don’t have any frogs in there yet. What is the ventilation like in the tank? Assuming you’ve got vents in the top, how about covering them with glass to keep the humidity in, and spraying well before you leave?
I updated that thread after you said that. Realized I was only showing plant growth and not these little guys hopping around in there.

Even with frogs, if there is a concern about drying out, just cover the vents. If it is temporary, not big deal.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have my back two vents covered but my front two vents are maybe 3/4 covered.

·
Registered
960 Posts
...there is no standing water in the false bottom. I'm worried about leaving it for so long without misting which would maybe be 5 days.
I keep snakes (montane, humid subtropical) not frogs, but I am able to go on 2-3 week trips by "filling the camel" before I go. (I also run automated water but I intentionally have my auto settings on "not quite enough" and must do a bit of hand-watering too.)

To "fill the camel" I soak the bejeezus out of the substrate and leaf litter, and thereby also top off my false bottom. I also hand-mist heavily, absolutely soaking all my background LFS and perched planters, and coating all the plants in as much water as their leaves will hold.

This approach is greatly facilitated by having drilled & drained tanks. But I think following such a course, and also (in your situation, with frogs and without any automation) reducing - not eliminating, just reducing by say 80% - your ventilation temporarily you ought to be safe to go for 5 days. A final thing you could do is counter-sink a hide all the way down to the screen underneath your substrate, leaving a pretty small "door".

Good luck. It's gonna be alright, this is a good time of year to leave home for a short trip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep snakes (montane, humid subtropical) not frogs, but I am able to go on 2-3 week trips by "filling the camel" before I go. (I also run automated water but I intentionally have my auto settings on "not quite enough" and must do a bit of hand-watering too.)

To "fill the camel" I soak the bejeezus out of the substrate and leaf litter, and thereby also top off my false bottom. I also hand-mist heavily, absolutely soaking all my background LFS and perched planters, and coating all the plants in as much water as their leaves will hold.

This approach is greatly facilitated by having drilled & drained tanks. But I think following such a course, and also (in your situation, with frogs and without any automation) reducing - not eliminating, just reducing by say 80% - your ventilation temporarily you ought to be safe to go for 5 days. A final thing you could do is counter-sink a hide all the way down to the screen underneath your substrate, leaving a pretty small "door".

Good luck. It's gonna be alright, this is a good time of year to leave home for a short trip.

I would say my ventilation is about 75-80%.

What is meant by counter-sink a hide?

I was thinking I could use a corner to fill my false bottom, maybe 1/2in to an inch of water and really spraying everything else.

·
Registered
960 Posts
What is meant by counter-sink a hide?
Imagine your viv after you installed the background and false bottom, but before you added any substrate.
  • You're looking at the window screen or weed block or whatever "fabric" will keep the dirt from washing down into the false bottom.
  • Take a hide - a half a coconut shell, a lengthwise-split terra cotta pot, a yogurt container with a notch cut in the side, whatever - and set it down on the screen, open side down (so an animal could hide under it).
  • Now throw in your substrate. You'll probably halfway (or more) bury that hide. It's OK if some substrate goes in the hole. The point of the hide is to create an extra-humid "cave" right above the (full, brimming) false bottom reservoir. As long as the animal can come and go from the hide (because the "door hole" is accessible from the inside and the outside), you're golden.
I like terra cotta pots, personally. You can even soak them overnight in a clean bucket of clean water before deployment, to get them nice and saturated. Terra cotta drills beautifully with diamond hole saws, and there's also something called a zip bit for use with a Dremel tool (to make a rotary saw out of it). You can cut any shape of hole you like with a zip bit. (It's nicer if the pot is soaked - less dusty.) Terra cotta pots come in a huge variety of sizes and shapes. I've used tiny half-pots for neonate snakes and huge half-pots for big fat adults.

I hope this was clear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts