Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..so I'm getting ready to put some frogs in my 65g viv and I'm really leaning toward mints. I have never seen any in person but I've read many great things. My primary question is do these frogs have a metallic sheen as do some other pdf's? I know that is seldom captured w/ the camera..does anyone have any comments or pics that you feel are strong actual representations.? Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
The below quote sums they up in a nutshell.

all terribilis do have a metallic sheen, but that wont' show til they are fully colored in, they are big bold and have a great appetite
I have yellows, and now they're adults, the sheen on them is visually apparent, but as you say, not noticeable on photos of them. I've managed to capture it slightly in the below photos (apologies if you've seen them before) :

DSC_0016 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

DSC_0014 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

p.Terribilis 3 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

P.Terribilis 2 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beutiful and thanks for helping..makes mints seem quite a good choice, now to find some.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK..so how do Mints compare to Bicolors in terms of coloration, sheen, etc. I also am considering bicolors also?

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Here's some bicolor 'green leg'. They are very bold frogs, but they don't have near the sheen my mints do.

Here's some bicolor 'gold', that were thought to be terribs when they were first imported:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Beutiful and thanks for helping..makes mints seem quite a good choice, now to find some.
Tell me about it. These have proven nearly impossible to find as adults. After nearly a year of searching, I finally tracked down two females, and then found a 1.2 trio a few days later. I bought them all (my wallet is still crying). They all have that sheen you've been asking about, though two of my females have a slightly more bronze-ish cast and show that sheen more. I personally think the greener mints are prettier, but the bronze ones are definitely cooler, primarily because of that sheen.

That said, mints are always worthwhile. They're incredible frogs. Huge, fearless, and just awesome all around. I just sit and watch mine sometimes. You'll love them...though if you find someone with adults, shoot me a PM. I'm sure my male loves the fact that he has four females, but I need another male. Or two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts