Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently purchased a trio of mint terribilis from the NARBC this past october. They are kept in a 12x12x18 zoo med that I made to have 2 levels and a water fall feature. The frogs were about 2-3 months old when I got them. I have had them for a month. One frog is growing normally, about triple the size of the smallest and double of the other one. The smaller 2 don't seem to be keeping up very well. About a week ago while I was misting the smallest went into a convulsion with its back legs and spread out and just about did the same to me when I saw it because I thought I had killed it. I left it alone and it eventually came back around but today it did it again. I have tried calcium and vitamin supplementation but he always seems to spit out the dusted flies. Any ideas how to help out? I would really be bummed if I lost him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Two quick pieces of advice:

1- vitamins and calcium supplements are not something to be "tried"....they are %100 necessary!!

2- that size tank is much too small for three terribilis.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I would recommend separating your frogs into individual shoe box containers so stress will be kept at a minimum and eliminate competition for food. Get them to eat some flies dusted with calcium and vitamins that are no older than 6 months and get them up to a proper weight. At which point I would reintroduce them together into a much larger tank, or one that is at the minimum 20 gallons....good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would recommend separating your frogs into individual shoe box containers so stress will be kept at a minimum and eliminate competition for food. Get them to eat some flies dusted with calcium and vitamins that are no older than 6 months and get them up to a proper weight. At which point I would reintroduce them together into a much larger tank, or one that is at the minimum 20 gallons....good luck and keep us posted.
Do you think he should also get some Calcium Gluconate to give the froglet a boost?

Dosing is 1 to 10 gluconate to water.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate the advice and I will separate them. The zoo med was a temporary cage until they reached a little bigger size. I have 2 nano talls that should do fine. I do have reptivite and and repticalcium with and without d3.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on my little terribilis situation and my last one passed away today. Really thought that one was going to make it. Pretty bummed about it. He was about 6-7 months old and seemed to be thriving but he started having the same seizure/muscle spasming the other 2 did and lasted about a month after they first started happening. My cobalts, leucs, auratus, citronellas, and powder blue are all doing awesome. Maybe I'm not meant to have a terribilis? Lol

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It sounds like vitamin and/or calcium deficiencies. Throw that stuff out and get some Repashy Calcium Plus for supplementation for next time. How often are you dusting your flies? How old are your supplements? You aren't using the stuff without D3, are you? It is completely useless without D3 or UV lighting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Usually once every 3 or 4 days/feedings. Im not sure how old they are because they were given to my by a friend. It is with vitamin d3. How long do supplements last? What kind of supplementation frequency do u recommend?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Usually once every 3 or 4 days/feedings. Im not sure how old they are because they were given to my by a friend. It is with vitamin d3. How long do supplements last? What kind of supplementation frequency do u recommend?
It is recommended that you replace your supplements every 6 months. Take pumilo's advice and invest in some repashy products. I dust every single feeding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice. You dont think this could be a problem specific to the phyllobates because everything else hasnt had any problems?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Thanks for the advice. You dont think this could be a problem specific to the phyllobates because everything else hasnt had any problems?
I'm not harshing you, I'm trying to help so please don't take this wrong. Your other frogs simply haven't shown problems yet. They will die too if you don't start a serious dusting regiment with top quality supplements.
Maybe your Terribilis dropped first because they were young, active, and growing and had a higher need for calcium and vitamins? Maybe the little that was available was going into bone growth?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thank you for your advice and have not taken any of this in a negative way or am I disagreeing with you guys at all. I just figure the more information I can attain from successful keepers the better I will be in the future. I have ordered some repashy calcium plus and will dispose of my old supplements. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Repashy Calcium Plus is designed to be an all in one supplement that will take care of calcium and vitamin needs. To keep your Repashy Calcium Plus at peak potency, you should pour some into a smaller, airtight container. Maybe pour one months worth in. This smaller container will stay in your frog room for dusting with. The main container goes into the fridge but NOT in the freezer. At the beginning of each month, refill your small container with the refrigerated supplement. IMPORTANT! Never let the refrigerated supplement come to room temperature! Pour some out and put it immediately back into the fridge. Reason is that frequent "cycles" of cooling and warming will degrade the vitamins even faster.
I replace the main supply every 6 months whether you still have some left or not.
If you feed every day, you may be okay with dusting every other feeding. I feed about 3 times a week and I dust with every feeding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts