– Pleurothallis allenii
– Pleurothallis grobyi
– Pleurothallis tripteranth
– Masdevallia herradurae
- Stelis spec. Peru

·
Registered
676 Posts
Dendrobium laevifolium is the best mini orchid I've dealt with for viviariums. Small, hardy, relatively fast growing and amazing long lasting flowers.
I’ve tried growing laevifolium in my greenhouse so many times. Never does well. I have a hybrid, Aussie Hi Lo (cuthbertsonii x laevifolium) that I might try. That one is exceedingly easier to grow than both species.
Do you have any pictures of yours in your terrarium?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I’ve tried growing laevifolium in my greenhouse so many times. Never does well. I have a hybrid, Aussie Hi Lo (cuthbertsonii x laevifolium) that I might try. That one is exceedingly easier to grow than both species.
I am growing Aussie’s Hi Lo and it’s doing ok but not thriving, are you getting yours from Ecuagenera? I’m slowly becoming convinced that many of Ecuagenera’s plants come from high elevations that are cooler than I can manage, and that clone/parentage matters a lot more than we give it credit. Just got a straight cuthbertsonii from a grower who says his greenhouse hits the 90s, and I’m hoping this particular stock will be more adapted to heat. We’ll see how that goes over the next year.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't have any pictures but I will take one and post it in this thread when I get a chance. I'm genuinely surprised to hear that you can't get it to flourish in a greenhouse, it's one of only a handful of mini orchids I've been able to get thriving in my vivariums and other than being vulnerable to slugs it's always proved very hardy for me. Another one that does well in my experience is Pleurothallis alleni.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dendrobium laevifolium is the best mini orchid I've dealt with for viviariums. Small, hardy, relatively fast growing and amazing long lasting flowers.
I did a quick Google search for Dendrobium laevifolium and found beautiful picutues of the flowers. Thank you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check out the Dendroboard plant database, you can filter your view by orchids, size, and a bunch of other parameters. Since it started as my own personal DB and I mainly grow mini orchids, it has over 100 species of vivarium-suitable orchids. If you have any questions about specific ones I might be able to provide more info.
I like Lepanthopsis, do all species of Lepanthopsis have similar care requirements? Sorry, I don't know much about orchids.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I am growing Aussie’s Hi Lo and it’s doing ok but not thriving, are you getting yours from Ecuagenera? I’m slowly becoming convinced that many of Ecuagenera’s plants come from high elevations that are cooler than I can manage, and that clone/parentage matters a lot more than we give it credit. Just got a straight cuthbertsonii from a grower who says his greenhouse hits the 90s, and I’m hoping this particular stock will be more adapted to heat. We’ll see how that goes over the next year.
I have some from them as well as one bred by Golden Gate before Ecuagenera started scaling up their lab work. They received lots of material to start that. So it depends on what you’re talking about using. They’ve also got upper and lower elevation sites.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your cuthbertsonii?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I like Lepanthopsis, do all species of Lepanthopsis have similar care requirements? Sorry, I don't know much about orchids.
Until recently I had only heard of one species, astrophora. But I just got a hybrid that I’ll be selling eventually, Lepanopsis ‘Michelle’, and it looks like Ecuagenera sells a few species. As far as I know they are all miniatures that like medium light, medium temps, and consistently high humidity. You should definitely start with astrophora, I highly recommend that species.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Until recently I had only heard of one species, astrophora. But I just got a hybrid that I’ll be selling eventually, Lepanopsis ‘Michelle’, and it looks like Ecuagenera sells a few species. As far as I know they are all miniatures that like medium light, medium temps, and consistently high humidity. You should definitely start with astrophora, I highly recommend that species.
Thank you Ariel. I will search for astrophora. Do you know any vendor that may have this species available?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have some experience growing orchids outside of tanks and zero with dart frogs, but...if the enclosure (or the mounting surfaces) stays pretty evenly damp or doesn't dry for long, and temps are intermediate to somewhat warm, many Bulbophyllum orchids do well in those conditions. A lot of Pleurothallid-family species also take well to not drying much, if at all, between waterings so long as they don't stay super soggy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts