Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
A pair of Azureus, two Theloderma Bicolor, 4 Santa Isabels
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you know of a good source of information for mini mossy frogs (Theloderma bicolor). I have been doing some research on their care and native habitat, but I have had a hard time finding in depth information. I know they are semiaquatic and arboreal, but I have not found sufficient details regarding their specific habitat or what their ideal captive environment is.

·
Registered
Costa Rican Green and Black Auratus coming in spring!
10 Posts
I was having a hard time finding any info on them other than what was on Josh's Frogs website. I asked in several facebook groups I'm in as well and no one there knew anything about them specifically, just the larger ones and related species. If anyone has more info, I'll be lurking here to learn! I want to know how loud and vocal they are, as well as knowing what is meant by "less destructive".

Sorry I'm not much help, but I share your frustration!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually already have two so I know how vocal they are. The call is a soft high pitched chirping sound and they only call at night or in the late evening. It's not overly and I actually find it very soothing to hear as I fall asleep. Here is a link to a YouTube video of a Theloderma corticale calling:

The Theloderma bicolor call sounds pretty much the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, that's adorable. I'm not sure I could sleep with it in my room though! I have a very hard time falling asleep in general, and though it's hard to judge the volume from a video, it seems that's a lot louder than I'd like in my room.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It definitely does not sound that loud with the tank closed, I think its just louder in the video.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How loud would you say they are, relative to a mature cricket chirping? I've slept through crickets in the past, but I'm not sure I could handle much louder!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually since initially starting this thread my mossies call has gotten louder. They can certainly change pitch and volume in their calls though. The loudest I've heard is probably louder than crickets chirping although this is not the case most of the time. The call is usually very soft and not too loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts