Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a thread documenting the build out of 5 tanks I received today.

These beauties were delivered by none other than Doug H., AKA Pumilo. This was Doug's first viv order and I'm very impressed with the result. He was extremely detailed in the planning and building of these awesome tanks.

They're all euro-sliders, complete with the awesome Sherman Vent. You can also see Doug's novel approach to a handle, the glass marble. It works great and is a nice, minimal solution for the problem of a handle. Also notice the fly-proofing of the doors that Doug has detailed before.

The big tank is 29"x15"x22", and will house my first frogs, a pair of Azureus. The four smaller tanks are all 16"x15"x22", and I intend to mix them up with thumbnails and Pumilio (not in the same tanks, duh). I'll be decorating the big tank first and then work on the smaller guys.

The cabinet is a 3 piece unit from IKEA, and I'll be mounting an identical cabinet to the wall above, flush with the tanks for a seamless look. They seem very sturdy, but I'll be keeping a close eye on them. Right now it needs to be leveled to the floor, as it's a bit wonky being built in 1926 and all. Nothing a few shims won't fix.

Anyway, here at the pics. Take note of the recently acquired cypress stump from travisc :)

Stay tuned, I'll post updates as I make (slow) progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Wow. What a nice setup. Those are going to look amazing! Love seeing the clean slate prior to a build - so much potential and fun construction time in the future! Glad the stump is working out for you!

Note: I am sure you have this already in mind, but if you don't want to lose the cool appearance of the bottom of the stump, make sure to silicone some PVC pipes to the bottom of it even after placing the false bottom or whatever substrate you choose so the substrate does not cover it.

Either way, it is going to look awesome! SUBSCRIBED!!!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Suggestion: With Ikea make sure you reinforce the joints at where the top meets the sides. They are incredibly weak.

Reactions: Scott

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey Travis, I got over there to deliver these today and spotted that piece of Cypress. I knew immediately that it came from you!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. What a nice setup. Those are going to look amazing! Love seeing the clean slate prior to a build - so much potential and fun construction time in the future! Glad the stump is working out for you!

Note: I am sure you have this already in mind, but if you don't want to lose the cool appearance of the bottom of the stump, make sure to silicone some PVC pipes to the bottom of it even after placing the false bottom or whatever substrate you choose so the substrate does not cover it.

Either way, it is going to look awesome! SUBSCRIBED!!!!!
Thanks for the tip! I might have to cut it a little shorter to fit with the false bottom but I love the idea of the spacers.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lookin good. nice set up with the tanks in a row like that. how do you plan on lighting these bad boys?

IM OLD GREGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

james
Glad finally someone got it :)

Currently I'm tentatively planning on using 4 22" LED strips from Lightyourreptiles.com. Although after discussions I may have to make that 8 strips. So currently re-thinking the planned lighting setup.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Those are some great looking tanks. Can't wait to see them all filled in. What kind of backgrounds will you be using? The LEDs will be a great choice, it is amazing how bright they are. I have some on my 30" vivs and they still blast light to the bottom. Lots of fun work ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those are some great looking tanks. Can't wait to see them all filled in. What kind of backgrounds will you be using? The LEDs will be a great choice, it is amazing how bright they are. I have some on my 30" vivs and they still blast light to the bottom. Lots of fun work ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been thinking about the cork mosaic background method, but instead of using sphagnum in between the cork pieces maybe use hygrolon? I haven't quite decided yet and it may take some experimentation.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have seen the metal L's being utilized or you can drill 2x4's from the top. Use the flat topped screws so they don't protrude.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts