Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 milk frog excaped last night or the night before. I found one hopping in the livingroom but still can't find the other one. I have put random bowls of water out to hopefully encourage her to go to one. How else can I go about finding her. Anything would be great. This is the first excape and I have fixed where they excaped from in the terrarium.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Canvas the room small section by section its like a crime scene.

Look from top to bottom and gently remove carefully examined extraneous items out of the way.

If you dont do it by yourself make sure your helper understands the plan.

Better to have them go to the supermarket and pick up a bottle of unflavored pedialyte as first aid soak in the event you find frog.

Do not refrigerate till you open. Make sure its room temp NOT WARM, when using.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sorry for your loss. As a long-term snake keeper, I decided long ago to just drop the word "escape". They don't escape, we let them out. Either by bad design or inattentive behavior.

Go ahead and feel all the feels. Let this fucker hurt. It'll learn ya. Then you can stop letting them out.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
As a constructive example - years ago I intentionally, very actively created a new habit after an "escape" (I'd left the cage door open - I have a dedicated herp room, and always have an active high prey-drive dog, so I am 100% fastidious about closing the room door. Thus any "escapes" will be somewhere in the room, but still. It must not happen, it need not happen.)

The habit is to, upon leaving the room, stop & turn around and slowly and with 100% focus look at each cage and ask "is its door fully closed, and correctly latched / locked?" Every couple of years I'll catch myself leaving a door open (the evidence shows, if I make it as far as closing the door, I always get it latched / locked). Usually it's on feeding day - some of my charges are a little nervous when they take food off tongs, and I can't shut the door right then or they'll drop it. I have to wait until it's a little bit past their mouth.

Anyway - good luck, and again - sorry for the dead frog.

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
The habit is to, upon leaving the room, stop & turn around and slowly and with 100% focus look at each cage and ask "is its door fully closed, and correctly latched / locked?"
Fantastic advice. :)

A while back I had a snake (rainbow boa) work a heavy sliding glass door open. Luckily snakes are easy to find (they go to warm dark spots and stay there), but it motivated me to put display locks on all the sliding door enclosures. The lock mechanism needs to be keyed open, removed and set aside to open the door. So, when I scan the room it is simple to see if any of the locks haven't been replaced -- they're big and silver colored and easy to notice that they're missing.

Perhaps one of those padlock-type locks -- or a brightly colored DIY insert of some sort -- on ExoTerras would be a good tool even if not used to prevent unauthorized entry.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The lock mechanism needs to be keyed open, removed and set aside to open the door.
I know them well - stick-on showcase locks. Meant for bypass sliding glass doors. You can buy a bunch like-keyed. I have done so.

I've got some little carabiners for my Exos. The tiny padlocks also work, but it's a damned hassle if they all have unique keys. Sometimes you can find a pack of like six or whatever, all with the same keys.

But yes - best case is some very obvious dangly bit, that jumps out at you if it's not present. My little scan-all-the-cages routine might take me all of three or four seconds. It's a great investment.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I once had a little golden tomato frog get out of a tank that I had found out when to my despair, I stepped on him.

He turned a horrible color from the beautiful alive hues that he was.

It is something I feel fresh anger for myself, and sadness for the frog, to this very day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts