Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I MIGHT BE GETTING MY FIRST DART FROG(OR TADPOLE) SOON. Why you ask? Becouse i am in school and got 99 percent on the state assessment and i was so good i was the only one in the state to get over 98 percent and i got an award from the govener! I am getting eather a tad or dart frog. Im thinking about getting a tadpole becouse it will live longer and they are cheaper. i am buying them from reptiles etectra at the kc reptile show! need some advice. While in tadpole stage is a 5 gal good? and when it grows up is a 20 gal good? and finnaly does anybody know where to buy a cheap and working mistking system? THANKS

·
Registered
802 Posts
Congrats! What test was it?

I'd recommend against starting with a single tad. Tads can be difficult and it would stink if your only tad died or morphed out with SLS. Better to start with a juvenile. I'd check with locals in your area and see if any of them have any froglets for sale so you can go pick one out yourself as opposed to getting one in the mail.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You are taking quite a chance with a tadpole. They don't always morph out right. They are cheaper because you may very well end up with nothing. As far as living longer, depending on the frog, dartfrogs can live 10-20 years and even longer. The extra few months tacked onto the lifespan is nothing. Especially compared to the chance of getting a bad tadpole.
Get the frog!
Congratulations and get the frog!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Congrats! Great news! :D

I agree that it might be better for you to get a frog rather than a tadpole. Plus, dart frogs live a long time! Somewhere around 10 years or so, I've read. Also, they'll need to be around a year old or so (depending on the frog) before they are old enough for breeding.

Were you thinking of getting Leucs (I see one in your avatar)? I have a couple of them and they are great frogs!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Your avatar, a Luec, would be a fine first frog! Also very reasonably priced when you decide to add to the group later. Notice I said "when" and not "if"! Frogs are more addictive than drugs! Good thing they're better for you!

·
Registered
610 Posts
First off congratulations.
The frog/tadpole thing has already been addressed. To answer the other question. Yes a 20 gallon would be fine. You could even put two in there if you wanted. I'm in agreement with Doug. Luecs are bold, hardy, and have a great call. They really are a perfect first frog.

I would recommend that you start building a viv now. There are some great construction threads on the site should give you a good starting point. You may also want to start culturing fruit flies as well. Do some research ask questions and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
OK I MIGHT BE GETTING MY FIRST DART FROG(OR TADPOLE) SOON. Why you ask? Becouse i am in school and got 99 percent on the state assessment and i was so good i was the only one in the state to get over 98 percent and i got an award from the govener! I am getting eather a tad or dart frog. Im thinking about getting a tadpole becouse it will live longer and they are cheaper. i am buying them from reptiles etectra at the kc reptile show! need some advice. While in tadpole stage is a 5 gal good? and when it grows up is a 20 gal good? and finnaly does anybody know where to buy a cheap and working mistking system? THANKS
Most of the frog questions have been sufficiently answered. Just wanted to say great job on your test! Make sure you get something set up for your new pet in advance.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Congrats on being able to get a dart My first darts took around 2 years to get my parents to let me have darts. But aside that a leuc would a great starter also try vittatus they were my first darts and they are hardy as ever just a little shy though also try azureus they I heard are great begginers good luck and have fun

Once you get a dart you will be hooked for life and end up with too many pets :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts