Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 2685 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I have been bitten by PDFs! Although I'm just a beginner, I am learning fast. That being said, I would like to learn a lot more and quicker! In order to facilitate this learning curve, I have been talking to MANY DC metro area froggers to have an occasional get together. Including me, 18 are interested. Are you interested? Evenings work best. This is going to be the most difficult thing to do...select a date where most of us can attend. It would be a good way to trade, sell, group buys and discuss PDFs. Outside of that, here is a list of some possible topics (please feel free to add to this list):

1. Producing specific care sheets for every frog owned by members.
2. Breeding frogs.
3. Vivariums.
a. work shop - "How to construct a vivariums."
4. Plants.
5. Group buys (i.e., FCA acrylic tanks for under $100.00 - still in the works).
6. Husbandry and Diseases.
7. Food - who has had success with what.
8. Conservation (Sustaining the hobby).
9. Trades
10. Auction

We already have the site of our first two meetings:

1. Scott Menigoz (smenigoz)
2. Mike (Dunner97074)
3. Sean Stewart (seanstew)
*All three of the above have already graciously volunteered their place. Let me know if you want to host one!?!?

Here is the current list:

1. David Martin (dmartin72)
2. Sean Stewart (seanstew)
3. Scott Menigoz (smenigoz)
4. JustinYeager (yeager)
5. Richard SInes (tuthelimit)
6. Yuri (Yuri)
7. Scott (dartsanddragons)
8. Van Robinson (Van)
9. Tim (TimsViv)
10. Mike (Dunner97074)
11. Josh (JoshKaptur)
12. Nia (nana_enes)
13. Sue Frederick (mmunchkins)
14. Corey Wickliffe (KeroKero)
15. Damon Kraft (4thecrue)
16. Dawn Griffith (Dawn)
17. Nick Morin (NickMorin)
18. Jared Johnson (Jared J)
Please add yourself to the list if you are interested

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First Class Aquatics (custom acrylic vivariums)

It's only obvious that I am going to need a frog room. I'll start things off by asking who would be interested in Paul's custom acrylic tanks from First Class Aquatics. They will be less than $100.00 and I will probably get 4-5. We should be able to get a significant discount with a group buy. Also, I might be willing to make a trip over to Mentor, OH 44060 to save us all on the shipping. Who's interested?

Check it out:

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3426&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just wanted to post an objection to Sunday mornings. I would prefer any evening, even if it is a weekday. I teach a high school sunday school class and almost never miss it. If I'm the only church-goer, so be it... but I suspect I'm not.

No offense taken if that is what is best for everyone else.

Josh

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's cross Sunday mornings off the potential days!

Keep PMing me those vitals so that I can continue to compile a list. Also, I would like this thread to become an area for us to come up with an agenda and appoint people to discuss specific topics!

·
Registered
297 Posts
custom acrylic tank

I would be interested in some acrylic tanks. Hopefully this will be after the holiday season, sometime in 2005?

Yuri

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the rate that Paul is going and the demand...that sounds about right. I hope really early 2005.

G

·
I do not need any new tanks, but thanks a lot anyway. Any weeknight is good for me, or anytime on the weekend, except for Sunday night. Also, could we try to not schedule get-togethers on herp show days?
sue

G

·
Help David and Mike find a name:

1. Mid Atlantic Dendro Den (MADD)
2. DC Metro Froggers (Sounds like a baseball team)
3. DelMarVa Dendro Den (like AAA, but DDD)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's come up with names and start a poll!?!?

5. Chesapeake Dendro Den
6. DC Metro Dendro Group
7. DelMarVa Dendro Group
8. Chesapeake Dendro Group

·
Registered
886 Posts
possible topics (please feel free to add to this list):

2. Breeding frogs.
3. Vivariums.
4. Plants.
9. Trades
10. Auction
Now call me anti-intellectual (and I am not), but I feel a risk in over-formalizing these events... at least every one of them. Just as enjoyable (and a lot less work) is hanging out and talking frogs over a few drinks and some snacks.

Josh

G

·
I definitely agree, I think starting very basic and meeting a few times a year and then building it up if it's desirable is a much better idea. I'm already getting nervous about going if there's so many things going on and so often. No one wants to drive up here, but conversely if it's a monthly thing I doubt I'll make it much there.
j

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm as "anti-intellectual" as they come. Did you see my avatar (I don't even know what that means). We should definitely keep this stuff all very informal. I do frogs to escape the hectic world around me. If you can't make it, catch the next "informal meeting" whenever that might be. The more meetings we have, the more likely you will be able to actually get to one. When I originally started thinking about this, I had only a few people in mind. It just seems like there is a lot of demand for this. From my experience in aquarium clubs, there is a lot of chatting about nothing, which is great in and of itself. We could set up a really informal guideline of what to chat about informally!

I think it would be really cool to have an informal workshop on how to build a vivarium. I for one am better at learning when I see this first hand. Plus you get to have everyone's input on different ways of doing things, which allows us to pick and choose the right way for you. Trading frogs...selling frogs...auctioning high demand frogs...this all sounds like it fills a void that many are lookinf for.

This is not a sermon just a thought (I heard that on the radio so I had to say it).

David

JoshKaptur said:
possible topics (please feel free to add to this list):

2. Breeding frogs.
3. Vivariums.
4. Plants.
9. Trades
10. Auction
Now call me anti-intellectual (and I am not), but I feel a risk in over-formalizing these events... at least every one of them. Just as enjoyable (and a lot less work) is hanging out and talking frogs over a few drinks and some snacks.

Josh

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sean Stewart http://www.herpetologic.net has added his name and place as a meeting site! I have personally seen his place...wow, what a professional set-up. Cool snakes too. Sean my Luecs are doing fantastic by the way!

We are up to 18 groupies!

G

·
My thoughts are if I have to drive 2-3 hours for it, I'd rather have it be less often so when I do make it, more people are likely to make it there as well. However, if you do make it monthly, maybe I'll just catch the ones at a location of interest, or when it's convenient. The thing for me is I hit 2 of the 3 tolls on 95 from where I am to Florida just to go to MD, so each trip will cost me over $10 in tolls as well as gas and time. I'm definitely up for the community building, and I'm so glad it's been catching on, I just feel I should explain my hesitation. The Philly thing is great for me as it's not that far and there are no tolls (and I can hit up the lab on the way and justify the trip). I just think it would be a shame to segregate the different groups that are so close. I was hoping maybe 4 times a year we could combine the two groups, two down South, two up North.
j

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was my hesitation for going to the Philly group...too far. Hence the DC area meeting. However, we could have a quarterly combined meeting (Philly and DC and everyone in between)?

G

·
Well as per my previous post, I was hoping for quarterly, but I guess we'll just have to see what other people want.
j

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
National Aquarium in Baltimore would be cool (great frog exhibit), but rather expensive. Sean Stewart used to work there so maybe he still has connections. Who in Baltimore wants to volunteer their place? Don't forget we have 3 others (1. Scott Menigoz (smenigoz) - Frederick, MD, 2. Mike (Dunner97074) - Columbia?, MD & 3. Sean Stewart (seanstew) - Columbia?, MD) who have already already graciously volunteered their homes. Also, let's talk dates. Maybe we could meet one week or weekend following Thanksgiving holiday.

David

TimsViv said:
A good meeting place would be Baltimore, even at NAIB.

Tim

1 - 20 of 2685 Posts