Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference? I see the pictures of steerei may have forked ends on some fronds where as thailandicum are predominately (maybe always) single pointed... but not having both plants in front of me... I have no idea how they really differ.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THats the thing Harry, I own the supposed M. thailandicum. I saw recently another member had a plant list with the M. steerei on it, which I would have put money on it being thailandicum. When I looked online, there are TONS of sites citing either plant, both by their respective, different, common names (not that that means much as we all know.) I was just wondering if this was indeed a case of one name was the old taxonomic name and people had been artificially seperating them out thinking they were two different things....? I had seen it happen before so I woudnt be shocked. They "steerei" tends to be referred to as the oils lick fern, while the "thailandicum" as the scarab or cobalt blue fern....

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi Sarah,

When the plant first made it into cultivation (over a decade ago) it was thought to be M. steerei. It was discovered that it was actually an un-named species and was named M. thailandicum in 2001 by Thaweesakdi Boonkerd & Hans P. Nooteboom in the journal Blumea (46-3)

I remember a bunch coming in locally in the 90's. Several of us kept this plant and even though it didn't grow very quickly we did well with it or so we thought. An old grower used the old fashion method of aged urine for fertilizer. You should have seen the growth and vigor on those plants! Not sure it's a good method for terrariums though! :shock: lol!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:shock: Nope, dont think Ill be doing that version of fertilization... :lol: So thanks for clarifying that Chuck. So what IS the way you tell them apart?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have never seen a real M. steerei, so I couldn't tell you. :)

But, I know they use things like venation, frond shape, scales, sporangia, sori and spores to classify ferns. But, like in other groups, I think there is a lot of disagreements.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like an interesting book Harry. I think what is even more interesting is that on amazon you can look at the index... and they name M. steerei in the back, not thailandicum.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think that's prob. because this plant in question entered the hobby in the 1990's and was identified as M. steerei a species that was named in 1933.

These plants which turned out to be M. thailandicum, were formally named in the later part of 2001. The book was originally published in 2001 and then reprinted in 2002. Easy enough for them to not catch the name change or more likely, the revised edition was already finished. Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Manuran, I believe that is the case here. I'm sure this book as most plant books are not 100% correct and there are surely many species available that are not even in the book but it is a great reference.
Regardless of what it is called it's a pretty neat fern and looks like a mini version of Elaphoglossum metallicum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.