Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I recently set up a viv that I plan on keeping a group of frogs in. Its a 65 gal horizontal, so Im thinking a terrestrial species would be the way to go. I was hoping to get a group of imitators, but Im gonna have to create some more vertical space in the tank. I had originally covered the bottom with moss, but after some reading I realize I need to replace it with leaf litter. I just purchased a few gallon bags of sand oak leaves for a base and some magnolia leaves for the top layer. The substrate is a mixture of peat/coconut fiber/sand. Should I mix some cypress mulch in to the bottom layer of the leaf litter? Im trying to get some micro fauna established in the tank before I add frogs, and Id like the litter/substrate to settle a bit so its not sticking to the frogs all the time.

IMG_1456.jpg
This is how it looks at the moment. Still a ways off from being ready for frogs, but once the moss is removed, leaf litter added, and micro fauna seeded, and I add some more vertical space (wood, plants etc.) I think itll be pretty nice. Since the tank does have a pretty large footprint in relation to its height, should I be considering diff species of frogs, a group of leucs or auratus maybe?

I ordered some jungle micropods (look like small sow bugs to me) and a starter culture of tropical isopods. Are there other small bugs I should add to the viv before I get frogs?

Im thinking about 1" or so of sand oak litter mixed with some mulch then another 1" of straight sand oak leaves and then top that with about 1" of magnolia leaves. Does that sound like a good way to do it?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Hi guys, I recently set up a viv that I plan on keeping a group of frogs in. Its a 65 gal horizontal, so Im thinking a terrestrial species would be the way to go. I was hoping to get a group of imitators, but Im gonna have to create some more vertical space in the tank. I had originally covered the bottom with moss, but after some reading I realize I need to replace it with leaf litter. I just purchased a few gallon bags of sand oak leaves for a base and some magnolia leaves for the top layer. The substrate is a mixture of peat/coconut fiber/sand. Should I mix some cypress mulch in to the bottom layer of the leaf litter? Im trying to get some micro fauna established in the tank before I add frogs, and Id like the litter/substrate to settle a bit so its not sticking to the frogs all the time.

View attachment 20932
This is how it looks at the moment. Still a ways off from being ready for frogs, but once the moss is removed, leaf litter added, and micro fauna seeded, and I add some more vertical space (wood, plants etc.) I think itll be pretty nice. Since the tank does have a pretty large footprint in relation to its height, should I be considering diff species of frogs, a group of leucs or auratus maybe?

I ordered some jungle micropods (look like small sow bugs to me) and a starter culture of tropical isopods. Are there other small bugs I should add to the viv before I get frogs?

Im thinking about 1" or so of sand oak litter mixed with some mulch then another 1" of straight sand oak leaves and then top that with about 1" of magnolia leaves. Does that sound like a good way to do it?
Just to quickly answer some of your question, I would say that that size tank would be good for virtually any species of dart frog. I own luecs and love em.

Next I would say that it would be unecessary to add in mulch to the bottom layer of oak leaves. The leaves on the bottom will be the first to decompose. Just throw your leaves on top and the microfauna will do fine, expanding throughout your leaf litter as it decomposes naturally.

Isopods make excellent tank janitors and they are indeed related to sow bugs as you observed. I would also look into springtails particularly if you are planning on keeping thumbnail species.

Hope this information helps and hopefully others will expand on what I have said.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Tropical springtails, I've never heard of jungle micropods so I can't help you on that. Are the magnolia leaves baked or did you buy them from a vendor?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I said tropical isopods when I meant tropical springtails.

I ordered two starter cultures of both micropods, and tropical springtails. I figure Ill use 1 1/2 on the 65 and the left overs in my 20 xh thats currently housing a pair of tincs. After looking around forever (all i wanted was a place to order tropical springs, micropods, and some leaves from but I ended up having to order from three diff places and paying three shipping charges :confused:)

I settled on the tropical springs over the standard cus the tanks are pretty warm 77-79 day 70 night and I figured since theyre a little bigger theyd make a more attractive food item and younger ones will still be small so Ill get more size variety from the trops than the standards

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the leaves from aaafrogs, the jungle micropods are from bugsincyberspace, and the springs are from azdr

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ouch! You should have checked out some of the forum ads. You could have gotten all of that stuff from one source like Joshsfrogs.com and probably a few of the others.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at josh's frogs, they had springs but no trops in stock. Once I got it in my head that i wanted the tropical variety of springs, and I saw the jungle micropods (seem like a good prey size) nothing else waas gonna do. Its hopefully a one time purchase (i plan on letting them get well established before adding frogs)

I broke down my reef tank (only way my wife was gonna let me get frogs) and I got a nice chunk of money for the corals/fish/equipment, so I dont mind paying a little extra to get exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I said tropical isopods when I meant tropical springtails.

I ordered two starter cultures of both micropods, and tropical springtails. I figure Ill use 1 1/2 on the 65 and the left overs in my 20 xh thats currently housing a pair of tincs. After looking around forever (all i wanted was a place to order tropical springs, micropods, and some leaves from but I ended up having to order from three diff places and paying three shipping charges :confused:)

I settled on the tropical springs over the standard cus the tanks are pretty warm 77-79 day 70 night and I figured since theyre a little bigger theyd make a more attractive food item and younger ones will still be small so Ill get more size variety from the trops than the standards
I thought thats what you meant. Sounds like you are on the right track!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts