Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find anywhere to buy Mexican bean beetles. Went in my son's soybean field because he does not spray. Put a towel on the ground between rows and shook soybean plants over towel. I found a few Mexican bean beetles and put them in a container with black eye beans.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
As Lou noted above; the mexican bean beetle (MBB) isn't the same beetle as is cultivated by the hobby as a feeder. The adults and larve of the MBB feed on the leaves and possibly the green pods before it has time to age and ripen. See Mexican Bean Beetle. It is a totally different animal than the bean beetle cultivated in the hobby which feeds on certain dry beans see http://www.beanbeetles.org/handbook/.

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are bean beetles Callosbrchus maculatus and there are Mexican bean beetles Epilachna varivestis. There is some confusion on the internet between the two. Thanks for the info I was unsure. I do have a culture of the bean beetle which I bought. The beetles I caught in the soybean field seem to be Mexican bean beetles. I'll wait to see if they reproduce in a culture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts