Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is do you need some kind of mesh to vide your drainage layer of your tank and your substrate? or is that optional? Also would screen door mesh be good for that?

·
Registered
74 Posts
From what i can tell it is usually preferred and normally people use weedblock (flower gardens). You can get it easily from Lowes or Home Depot normally.

I would still listen and see what others suggest.

Wayne

·
Banned
915 Posts
Wayne is rite I use weed block, nd would recomend using a divider anyway cause it holds ur substrate better. That's for me anyway. I did a tank without a divider and made a complete mess when I took the tank down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how about chese cloth? I've heard of people trying it and I think that It would let the plants roots get through

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have used standard fiberglass window screen mesh for years with good results.

·
Premium Member
Cobalts, Azureus, Green & Bronze Auratus, Northern Variabilis, Leucomelas & Vanzolinis
412 Posts
I also use standard fiberglass window screen mesh that I got from Lowe's. My plants have no problem going through the screen and down into the hydroton.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
how about chese cloth? I've heard of people trying it and I think that It would let the plants roots get through
Cheese cloth will rot over time allowing for the substrate to get down into the drainage layer.

I'm with Doug, I use fiberglass window screening for my drainage layer. I'm not sure why there would be an interest (or real value) in preventing the roots from accessing the lower areas.

Ed

·
Banned
915 Posts
my plant roots have no problem going thro the weed block. I always wonder about the screen i'll try that on the next viv:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts