Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reptile Expo this weekend end (S.A.TX.) and I will be looking to pick up a set of frogs.
Im wondering...
Will Melanogaster be to small for the bigger Darts or will they eat these too just a lot more of them.
Or will I have to start cultureing Hydei Also.
I was thinking of getting a set of Azureus or possibly Tinctorius Cobalts.
I may look out for some Ranitomeya but thought I would ask this of the flys to see what people say.

Thanks to all that help out on this board lots of us would be lost w/o all the help offered here.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
melanogaster are fine alone, although more diversity in food items is considered whats best for the animals. this would mean feeding melos, along with bean beetles and isopods, for instance. in short you CAN go without hydei, even with bigger darts.

james

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am a beginner, but I usually use hydei. Melanogasters work fine, but they are a lot smaller. I use both hydei and melanos, springtails, isopods, hydei larvae, and rice flour beetle larvae for feeding my frogs.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I believe all frogs will eat Melo's. Personally I think culturing Hydei is a PITA, even though I do have a little success. Melo's are way easier to culture though IME.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hydei are definitely harder to culture, and the larvae take longer to morph into adults. But, they are my preferred species because I need to feed mantises. So, whatever works best for you Zorloc.

·
Banned
915 Posts
I agree. Melanos are good all around and hydei take a while, but from what I hear the larger darts take to hydei better. Zorloc its really up to you.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I hear the larger darts take to hydei better
Oh, I am able to feed a lot of Tincs with Gliders, Curlys and Wingless Melanogaster. You just need to culture more flies, which is easily done. I would reccommend starting with Melanogaster and play around with Hydei as well. Hydei need a richer medium. Add more brewers yeast and they'll take off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts