Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK before people attack me, I'm not doing this just throwing out and idea. I have some of the geckos and they are strictly nocturnal. Well since dart frogs are diurnal could they coexiste in a 55 gallon that will be heavily planted. The frogs I'm gonna get are dentrobates auras I believe. Would the geckos even live in Vivarium like climate also.
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dendrobates auratus blue and black color morph is what I ment sorry for spelling error. I will look into the mixing species forum and thank you

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Some people have had luck with Gonatodes species, but most are diurnal, so conflicts may arise. Chances are that any house geckos that you get will be wc, which would be risky at best. Most Hemidactylus species would do better with lower humidity and would prefer larger prey items. Other than the obvious worries about disease/parasite transmission, you may run into problems with uneaten crickets causing the auratus stress. If you are dead set on having geckos and darts in the same tank, you might want to research Lepidodactylus lugubris. I have heard that keepers in Europe have successfully kept these with darts. I too have wanted to do a large tank with darts and geckos, but in the end I decided that what was best for the animals was the right thing to do. So I just set up a gecko tank in the same room as my darts....not quite the same thing, but it works for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fieldnstream I may do what you just said and set up two tanks. Because I'd rather look out for what's best for both species

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Right on, its probably for the best. If you dont have the Meds yet you might wanna check out Lygodactylus williamsi....they are incredible. Some of the Sphaerodactylus species are great. Gonatodes albogularis is awesome too, kinda expensive, but they should be out at the same time as the darts which would be cool. I used to have a bunch of Mourning geckos which were a lot of fun, they would reproduce very quickly, so there were always babies running around the tank. Or you could just head to Mobile and catch some Meds...they are everywhere down there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the meds I have them locally lol. I just release five which were caught at a friends house here at mine so they are everywhere in the lower part of Alabama. I will also look into the other species you have listed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts