Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my latest creation. I usually dont like tanks with sunken boats or tacky greek ruins, but I saw some threads about how to make your own rocks, and thought I'd give it a try inspired by some mayan ruins.
The tank is a 50gal aquarium I decided to strip down. I'm also trying a compostarium/refugium/bug reactor a one of the corners with two baskets that I can take away and empty. It's a bit of and experiment, and not aiming for these to produce all the food for future inhabitants but more of an occasional treat.
So, this is the tank:

and this is what I used as inspiration:

Used white polystyrene boxes to carve out the "ruins":

This was a test of how it would all go:

I then torched and covered the styrofoam with Sanstone Grout with several layers, I also blended in some soil in the final layers to add some darker dots and give a more real look to the whole thing.

Then I arranged all the false bottom

the external pump, the "rain pump", two heaters (one at 20C/68F, the other at 26C/79F) all under the false bottom

I constructed two baskets from some old CD racks

Which went into one of the corners

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here is the outcome as of today, when I've finally put it all together, with some plants. The pics aren't great, lights on the tank too strong and flash takes all the detail away... but at least is give an rought idea of what it looks like. I'll keep trying over the week and post up any nice pics.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
Normally I'm not fan of this sort of vivaria but good lord that is AWESOME!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Brilliant, Dr Salsa! You just made my day, I like the way your circle turned out. And I hope this lasts a long time for you. I do have one question - what is fern with fairly long fronds called, some kind of Asplenium?

Best,
Mike

·
Registered
403 Posts
Normally I despise all the little gawdy novelty trinkets people put in fish tanks and also herp enclosures.

However I think this is awsome! The most awsome thing about it is that if you have herps from an area in South America this is not something that would be completely out of place (atleast in some regions).

What I can't stand are the greek ruins, chinese towers, etc in with animals from everywhere BUT the region those things would be found in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow
that is beautiful. I'm with everyone else, I don't typically like those random sculptures but this is beautiful and does fit in with the frogs. I wish I was artistic enough to do something like that

Oh but what exactly is the bug basket thing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback,
I'm with everyone else in that I don't usually like plasticky Chinese/greek/pirates things in tanks, but for some reason I thought that mayan ruins would blend in quite well with jungles, vines, and epiphytic plants... Something in the lines of showing how nature claims back whatever we do.

Now answering your questions:
1) No, I dont have any frogs there yet... no money... but I hope I can find something to put in it soon.

2) The bug reactor idea was to start something like a compostarium but on a smaller scale. More of a trial that anything else. The idea is that those baskets will be filled with decomposing material, and plenty of bugs (springtails, fruitflies... ) doing their work on it. I'll start with one, then when that one is going full blast, I'll start number 2. By the time number 2 is going full blast, number 1 will have all turned into soil, which I can then empty and start again. The sides of the basket allow free flow of bugs across them and towards the tank. There is a layer of Epiweb between the baskets and the tank, which hopefully will allow the bugs to go from one to the other, and invite fruitfly larvae to metamorphose in it.

Now, I've got a couple of question myself.

1) How have people created bug-proof lids for aquariums? Could one use Acrylic sheets?

2) how to people keep the mist off their front panel in "non-european" style tanks?

Any ideas and suggestions very welcome!!!

Cheers,

Nik

1 - 11 of 11 Posts