Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my first bloom from a species orchid (at least that I didn't buy in bloom or bud). It's a maxillaria uncata orchid that I purchased earlier this year from Andy's Orchids. Just a single flower but I am stoked. Its not open all the way, at least I don't think it is. If it does open more I'll take a pic.

It is kept outdoors in indirect light on my front porch but am nearly finished with an orchidarium where it will eventually reside along with some other orchids being kept outside.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Nice. Everytime I try to grow my viv plants outside they get sun damaged very badly
I would imagine due to the drastic drop in humidity, and drastic increase in light levels.

In fact, making such a switch, without first acclimating the plant, almost guarantees burning

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. Everytime I try to grow my viv plants outside they get sun damaged very badly
I have definately made that mistake. I put my orchids in a spot that I thought would be good, but ended up having the sun roast them. I've noticed they like shade, at least here in dry southern california. Even so I am constantly shuffling their positioning around to see what conditions they do best in outside. I need to water daily as they get very very dry quickly here. I know they will all respond well to the increased humidity in my orchidarium. Species that do well in my orchidarium will end up in my frog vivs at some point. Till then I'm doing my best with orchids and am happy thusfar with my progress.

What I am really excited for is getting my first orchid to bloom in a viv. I've had a couple plants flower in my vivs, but really want to get an orchid flower!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would imagine due to the drastic drop in humidity, and drastic increase in light levels.

In fact, making such a switch, without first acclimating the plant, almost guarantees burning
yup. I've noticed that my plants can take brighter and brighter and drier conditions slowly over time. Its why I shuffle them. I'm sure they will go though another acclimation period when I put them in vivarium conditions. Like I said the ones that do well will end up in my vivs. The ones that don't stay in the orchidarium or back outside depending on where they do better.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the record this flower never opened any more. It fell off the plant today. I thought it might open more but it didn't. Still stoaked I got it to bloom at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts