Dendroboard banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Probably not a helpful comment at this point, but I tend not to start cuttings in plain sphagnum. I've used regular old 'potting soil' (Fafard, though I bet most are the same) with good results, and also a small pot lined with sphagnum with a well of ABG in the center. I always bury the cut end, and of course keep humidity near 100%.

I've also rooted most vining plants in water, though I've not tried this with Marcgravia.
Interesting. I have done it both ways, but was converted to sphagnum after much better success and faster growth with more sensitive plants. Haven't gone back to soil or abg mix as a starter medium, but who knows, I may give it a shot if this cutting doesn't make it and I order another umbellata.

I have also started many of my vines in the water method. If I get a sufficient enough amount of marcgravia, I'll do an experiment and report back.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I put and end under the sphagnum so it can pull the moisture, that sphag should be on the verge of wet, needs to be much more damp for that one to recover.
You may be right, though the last time I misted is when that leaf died. It is already pretty moist. Now that the back leaf is dead, I'll bury it in some sphagnum and hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is actually what I had done with my sintenisii but it didn't seem to be effective for me. In my case the piece might have gotten too dry/warm in shipping (took 4 days to get to me)
I doubt shipping was the problem. Everything else made it just fine and has rooted and is starting to show signs of good growth. Still hoping for the best but I am resigned to the fact it may not make it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is actually what I had done with my sintenisii but it didn't seem to be effective for me. In my case the piece might have gotten too dry/warm in shipping (took 4 days to get to me)
I doubt shipping was the problem. Everything else made it just fine and has rooted and is starting to show signs of good growth. Still hoping for the best but I am resigned to the fact it may not make it.
Any update? I have some El Coca that is looking pretty depressing currently.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Any update? I have some El Coca that is looking pretty depressing currently.
I've been meaning to give an update here (and in several other threads) for a while, just haven't got to it with how busy I have been at the brewery. The cutting has not had any leaves for quite a while, like over a month. Although there are no leaves, the stem is still quite green and hasn't started desiccating at this point so I still am holding out a chance of winning the lottery amount of hope. No signs of new growth points. No buds. Nothing but a green twig in sphagnum. I haven't inspected it for any signs of roots, just don't want to disturb it in its very vulnerable looking state. The stem does look healthier than it did a couple of months ago when there was visible signs of dieback. It's slightly thicker and firmer looking. I'll get a picture of it on here tonight.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm having a similar problem with a cutting of sintenisii that I got last month. No growth and leaves are falling off.
I have mine in a similar setup as you but with a lid on top to keep the humidity in. I'll see how it goes
Did your sintenisii make a recovery? I had mine in a humidome for plant propagation with a small layer of water on the bottom and with the vents closed so the humidity has always been high. Maybe not as high as a sealed deli container though.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Did your sintenisii make a recovery? I had mine in a humidome for plant propagation with a small layer of water on the bottom and with the vents closed so the humidity has always been high. Maybe not as high as a sealed deli container though.
Yes! I put it in a super humid growing tank and it had started rooting and has a new set of leaves :) I'm hoping it keeps growing so I can take cuttings for tanks.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes! I put it in a super humid growing tank and it had started rooting and has a new set of leaves :) I'm hoping it keeps growing so I can take cuttings for tanks.
Thanks for the hope! That is great news! Do you happen to have any pictures of what it looked like in it's darkest days and then now?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Thanks for the hope! That is great news! Do you happen to have any pictures of what it looked like in it's darkest days and then now?
I don't have any from when it was looking rough but he's a current shot. (That's a separate Marcgravia growing beside it)
It has grown roots that are buried in the soil :)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't have any from when it was looking rough but he's a current shot. (That's a separate Marcgravia growing beside it)
It has grown roots that are buried in the soil :)
That cutting looks like it's on the track to establishing some vigor and appears to me like it has turned that corner long ago. Nice job! I'd be happy with even evidence of a new leaf haha.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I unfortunately find myself in the same situation. Bought a clipping of suriname and a 3 rooted portions of rectiflora. The suriname started to grow new leaves in the temp tank, but once added to the viv it dropped most of its leaves and turned brown quick. The rectiflora was thriving in the temp tank with two new leaves in just a week, but once added to the viv it turned brown as well. I was careful in not spraying the leaves directly, but with my luck a lot of my clippings that were once thriving are now looking very rough. Im chalking it up to the acclimation period, but I strongly regret throwing those guys in the tank when I should have just grown them out and took clippings for the main viv. I took what was left of the suriname out and placed it in a sealed container in front of my window with hope that it will one day survive.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Here is what it looks like this evening. A twig. A green twig still with no signs of decay or desiccation. I'll hold out hope though, you never know. If it hasn't decayed yet and still is green it's got to be a sign it's not going to get worse right? We shall see.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I unfortunately find myself in the same situation. Bought a clipping of suriname and a 3 rooted portions of rectiflora. The suriname started to grow new leaves in the temp tank, but once added to the viv it dropped most of its leaves and turned brown quick. The rectiflora was thriving in the temp tank with two new leaves in just a week, but once added to the viv it turned brown as well. I was careful in not spraying the leaves directly, but with my luck a lot of my clippings that were once thriving are now looking very rough. Im chalking it up to the acclimation period, but I strongly regret throwing those guys in the tank when I should have just grown them out and took clippings for the main viv. I took what was left of the suriname out and placed it in a sealed container in front of my window with hope that it will one day survive.
I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the suriname's condition right now as it currently looks. And follow ups on it's progress, good or bad, I think it would be good to document and share.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm having an issue with a sintenisii. It was doing good for the first couple days and then a lot of the leaves fell off and the growth point turned brown. It's in sphagnum and the umbellata I have in the same bin is doing great, and I have a ton of rectiflora that's all doing good. Should I keep the sintenisii in the bin but put it in a pot with ABG or coco fiber?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The sintenisii i just received dropped its new leaves too. The older leaves still look healthy though so I'm hoping for the best.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts