Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a pretty good size shipment of plants last week and everything came in looking really good for the most part. The only exception was a cutting of marcgravia"red umbellata" which lost a bunch of leaves in transport. The cutting is about four inches long, and has about 4 small leaves left. What do you think it's chances are?

I have it laid on top of moist sphagnum moss, pinned down very gently to maximize contact with the substrate. I've not had a problem with getting marcgravia going before, but I have never had to start with such a small piece.

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
Chances are good. Give it lots of humidity and a little extra praise and I bet it recovers. :)

Reactions: varanoid

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ve found that umbrulatta loves to drop leaves when it’s angry. As long as there are some left it will recover. Put it in a place that stays somewhat moist / humid and don’t touch it.. sometimes it will settle in within a few weeks, sometimes months. I’ve even had some with no leafs send runners after assuming they where lost.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve found that umbrulatta loves to drop leaves when it’s angry. As long as there are some left it will recover. Put it in a place that stays somewhat moist / humid and don’t touch it.. sometimes it will settle in within a few weeks, sometimes months. I’ve even had some with no leafs send runners after assuming they where lost.
Appreciate the insight and you sharing your experience with me. Hope that is the case with mine. We will see.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe there was an episode of Mythbusters where they found that metal music improved the growth of some plants. Maybe try playing some Megadeth :D
Yeah I'm not going to try that, but my GF likes metal so the cutting may overhear her music while I'm gone and make a full recovery. Why can't plants like sports radio or NPR. If they did I'd have the ultimate green thumb.

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
My plants all like NPR. If they don't, they're afraid to say so. ;)

Speaking of NPR, it was on a past podcast of either This American Life or Radiolab that they talked about research showing that tree roots find buried water lines not by detecting leaking water but by the sound of the water going through the pipes (I guess the roots were attracted to underground pipes with speakers playing water noises). So plants apparently do hear; possibly different species prefer different genera of music?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Speaking of NPR, it was on a past podcast of either This American Life or Radiolab that they talked about research showing that tree roots find buried water lines not by detecting leaking water but by the sound of the water going through the pipes (I guess the roots were attracted to underground pipes with speakers playing water noises). So plants apparently do hear; possibly different species prefer different genera of music?
I totally remember that one - it's a Krulwich job, on Radiolab. It was amazing, as usual. Here's a link:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/smarty-plants

·
Registered
209 Posts
Appreciate the insight and you sharing your experience with me. Hope that is the case with mine. We will see.
I had a cutting of 'White Fringe' that was beat up, almost dried out (that was an accident) and lost all but ... 4 or 5 (?) leaves. It has since tripled in size and looks good. Took it a while, though.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And then there were 3 leaves. As you can see one more leaf fell of last night, you can see it flipped over next to the paperclip in the photo. Hope it makes a recovery, but have a feeling it will take a long while to do so. Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
2,693 Posts
Seems like my Marcgravia cuttings almost always do that. They drop their leaves and start over. It almost always comes back, though, if conditions are right.

Mark

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And then there were two leaves...with one of the two looking like it is going to wilt and die soon. No sign of roots at all on the cutting that I can see.

Interestingly one of the leaves that fell off and flipped upside down is looking green and healthy, though nothing is going on. Any chance that leaf may make another plant? I've noticed on a couple of my other marcgravias that the leaves look like they want to put out roots. Do they do this?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are the suspected "leaf roots" of another species/cultivar of marcgravia that I am talking about. The cutting with the bigger leaves is clearer. the smaller leaved cutting is the same cultivar and is a little less obvious, but still there none the less. I have observed similar with 'small round' as well. The suspected roots are the white fuzzy points on the outer leaves. Thoughts and or experience?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
And then there were two leaves...with one of the two looking like it is going to wilt and die soon. No sign of roots at all on the cutting that I can see.

Interestingly one of the leaves that fell off and flipped upside down is looking green and healthy, though nothing is going on. Any chance that leaf may make another plant? I've noticed on a couple of my other marcgravias that the leaves look like they want to put out roots. Do they do this?

I'm having a similar problem with a cutting of sintenisii that I got last month. No growth and leaves are falling off.
I have mine in a similar setup as you but with a lid on top to keep the humidity in. I'll see how it goes

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
Probably not a helpful comment at this point, but I tend not to start cuttings in plain sphagnum. I've used regular old 'potting soil' (Fafard, though I bet most are the same) with good results, and also a small pot lined with sphagnum with a well of ABG in the center. I always bury the cut end, and of course keep humidity near 100%.

I've also rooted most vining plants in water, though I've not tried this with Marcgravia.

Reactions: varanoid

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I put and end under the sphagnum so it can pull the moisture, that sphag should be on the verge of wet, needs to be much more damp for that one to recover.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Probably not a helpful comment at this point, but I tend not to start cuttings in plain sphagnum. I've used regular old 'potting soil' (Fafard, though I bet most are the same) with good results, and also a small pot lined with sphagnum with a well of ABG in the center. I always bury the cut end, and of course keep humidity near 100%.

I've also rooted most vining plants in water, though I've not tried this with Marcgravia.
This is actually what I had done with my sintenisii but it didn't seem to be effective for me. In my case the piece might have gotten too dry/warm in shipping (took 4 days to get to me)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts