Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that another member was selling sand blasted manzanita branches...I didn't know that they were appropriate for terrarium use!!...I've been using the branches for my Chameleon cages...sooooo, the question is do you have to treat it in any to make it safe for the vivs...I have access to a "lot" of it...not sure of the exact name of this species of manzanita, but its found in the back country of San Diego and has a red-ish color to to its branches!!??

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check into that ...from what I found or didn't...it wasn't illegal...my source is family land that is being cleared for a fire break around a house...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
oh, well i suppose it's the same. not sure tho, but i think it's just the bark that's red, underneath should be the same stuff, but i'm not a manzanita expert tho

·
Registered
326 Posts
Manzanita isn't illegal to cut down....in many places it's a weed. It's only illegal if it's one of the endangered species and/or it's in a national park or a private land and you cut it down w/out the owner's consent. I'm pretty sure those are the only reasons it'd be illegal. If there are other reasons I'm sure someone will chime in. I've picked up some manzanita beside a highway before. Albeit I picked up dead, fallen branches, I still harvested it.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
It is EVERYWHERE down here. Im thinking about grabbing a ton of branches and tossing them into the big autoclave here at the lab to get em nice and sterile. Wish I had a sandblaster too, but oh well

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is EVERYWHERE down here. Im thinking about grabbing a ton of branches and tossing them into the big autoclave here at the lab to get em nice and sterile. Wish I had a sandblaster too, but oh well
dude one of my friends has a sand blaster, and my shop works with a powder coating company that does sandblasting... we should go out to east county and grab all kinds of stuff. haha :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
And I have tanks we can put them in! :p It would be nice to get a local source of blasted and baked manzanita on the west coast. Lots of various hobbyist use it and can benifit that source.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dude one of my friends has a sand blaster, and my shop works with a powder coating company that does sandblasting... we should go out to east county and grab all kinds of stuff. haha :D
No need to drive far, I've got all you need here at my house...its been all trimmed up and its just wating for your sandblaster!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts