Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read on another board that there are more shipments of pumilo due in. Has anyone heard about this? and what is the status of that first shipment?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yes, there are suppose to be more pumilio coming in. I would like to suggest people not to buy frogs they won't be able to care for, or have the experience to do so. There will be a couple different morphs coming in, and some are much better for the less experienced (like bastimentos morphs and bri-bri)... so don't break your wallet for something you may lose. Some of the pumilio are very small compared to others, so the larger ones would be better if you are going to get some no matter what. Hopefully, everyone will have success with them and we will see some nice CB young in a year or so from arrival.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are these different than the ones from Seaside Reptiles? Did they ever come in? Who is importing the new batch and what morphs will be included, just curious?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Other people should be getting in some, but I am not sure who besides Seaside. I have also heard rumor that the ones for Seaside have come in, but don't know if that is true and in what condition they have arrived in. Once again, everyone should consider buying the more common morphs and leave the more rare ones for the better breeders. I just hope that everyone doesn't go pumilio crazy and buy frogs they will never breed, and may even lose due to inexperience... but more money then experience is out there, so who knows.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started this topic up again due to the fact that I am interested in the different morphs of auratus and not so much the pumilo's at this time. I agree with Jbeetle in that people who have had successful experiences in raising and breeding pumilo should be the ones who get these beautiful little frogs in to work with.
Another point to bring up is that if there are more shipments coming in shortly then the price should be dropping due to competition or sensible pricing.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Glad to hear you agree, and I am even more excited about the fact that you are more interested in the auratus lol! That's awesome. I also hope some cool auratus come in, but I have yet to hear what morphs they are... jsut assorted which doesn't help much lol. You are also right about the prices, so they should come down to a more reasonable price for a farm rasied frog.

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Tim Stout which board did you read this information from? Can you provide a link?

TimStout said:
Just read on another board that there are more shipments of pumilo due in. Has anyone heard about this? and what is the status of that first shipment?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats correct.
I guess the info is not very public as of yet.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've heard so many different stories about these frogs. Some pumilio for research did come in. I heard that Seaside has an exclusive with the exporter for the U.S. For commercial sales. As far as I can tell this is accurate. It is possible that pumilio could come in that were exported to other countries and then re-exported to the U.S. Lots of frogs have been exported from Europe in the past. People in the U.S. have a reputation for paying top dollar for their frogs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I imagine that once the test shipments come in and the kinks are worked out with F&W, we are likely to see a fairly steady influx of these guys. I think an exclusive is unlikely, and the prices will probably get a little better. After all, if pumilio are being farmed in any commercially viable numbers (which I have been told they are--in nice facilities), the farmers are going to want to ship as many as possible to the highest paying markets available.

G

·
0 Posts
HI,
As far as I know there have been no U.S. shipments to the public. It is not a matter of what the Panamanian farmers or anyone involved in the hobby would like to happen. CITES regulates EXACTLY how many frogs will leave the country per year and EXACTLY what species will leave. As far as the F+W issue goes, I very much doubt that there will ever be an iron large enough for the task. There is one final issue we realy need to delve into again. These specific frogs are not for everyone. If they are ever imported in large numbers, I hope that there are larger numbers of people to properly care for them and get them breeding. There is a reason some throw these awsome frogs into a "thumbnail" grouping.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'd say if you know how to master culturing FFs without additional chemicals, you are as good as anybody in keeping pumilios or other rare frogs.

Well, that and how to deal with sick frogs (ie:know how to give proper med).

I think people tend to complicate things, it's really not all that hard.

SB

·
Registered
213 Posts
steelcube said:
I'd say if you know how to master culturing FFs without additional chemicals, you are as good as anybody in keeping pumilios or other rare frogs.

Well, that and how to deal with sick frogs (ie:know how to give proper med).

I think people tend to complicate things, it's really not all that hard.

SB

Yes, its true, any idiot that can culture ff's can keep pumilio alive (if they are CB). Newbies should not try to keep WC pumilio if they come in. And, there's always the fact that newbies aren't likely to have springtails ready for offspring... and lets face it. We want to create a CB population of any pumilio that might come in. If/when they come in, I'd say wait a year until guys like Pat Nabors are producing offspring. If you buy WC be prepared for losses - it happens. Are you ready to lose $200 + for each frog lost?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If it wasn't all that hard to keep pumilio and histos alive, healthy and producing offspring regularly, they would all be established in the hobby like auratus, azureus and tincs. They aren't though and there is a reason for that. Yes culturing ff's isn't rocket science but keeping the animals fed is only one small part of husbandry. I am not saying a new frogger could not keep and breed pumilio, just saying there are other frogs they are more likely to have success with when they are just starting out. There are things you learn and techniques in husbandry that only come through experience working with lots of different animals over a period of time. That being said, if someone new has the cash to throw at rare frogs, he has just as much of a right to buy them as I do. They just need to realize that things can go south as they get the "kinks" worked out of their own husbandry techniques.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The ReturnOfJ105 said:
HI,
As far as I know there have been no U.S. shipments to the public. It is not a matter of what the Panamanian farmers or anyone involved in the hobby would like to happen. CITES regulates EXACTLY how many frogs will leave the country per year and EXACTLY what species will leave. As far as the F+W issue goes, I very much doubt that there will ever be an iron large enough for the task.
CITES is a procedural difficulty that has been around in this hobby even when pumilio were $30 each. Sure, numbers ebb and flow as quotas change. That will always be a problem. However, if there are legitimate farms that stand to make a profit by export without harming WC populations, they will find a way to ameliorate the quotas through political action. Capitalism has a habit of making things happen. It's just a matter of time.

As far as establishing pumilio in the hobby, I fully agree that there needs to be a concerted effort to establish CB populations. I believe that many people with the talent and experience to do so are getting involved with the upcoming imports. It is definitely an exciting time in our hobby.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ok I guess this can be a long one...let me boil it down to one thing: I am not talking about someone who never has any experience in keeping animals..

read my post, you gotta have some experience taking care of frogs to know those two things... hence I wrote dealing with sick frogs.

I agree egg feeders are harder to breed. Even the experienced ones can't get some of them to breed regularly... so why not the less experienced ones take a shot at them?? Less experienced doesn't mean that they are idiots and don't know how to buy a springtails culture.

SB

·
Registered
213 Posts
steelcube said:
... so why not the less experienced ones take a shot at them?? Less experienced doesn't mean that they are idiots and don't know how to buy a springtails culture.

SB
Why not? How about because less experienced people "took a shot" at keeping blue jeans pumilio back when they were $30 each. Where are they now?

Also, yes, less experienced can buy spingtail cultures. But SHOULD KNOW HOW DO CULTURE THEIR OWN.

I agree with Robb on this one. There is certain knowledge you acquire by working with frogs over time. If you have raised froglets, got them to adult size, bred them, and then raised their froglets - their is a certain amount of unteachable knowledge that comes to you. You only get it through experience. Obviously, I can't stop anyone from ordering, nor do I want to. I would hope they would use their own common sense and not order animals for instant gratification and "just because I have the money".

Rompida, stepping down from his very tall soapbox :oops:

·
Registered
475 Posts
BJ pumilios came into the US in such a bad shape and they were channeled thru some dealers.

Those who still have some of them, did not get their BJs from these dealers...

SB

This is similar to what I talked to Brent on frognet and I guess people have different opinions... which is cool with me.

edited for grammar

1 - 20 of 31 Posts