Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is keeping Mantellas more or less difficult then keeping thumbnail dart frogs, and if so, what are the differences?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Is keeping Mantellas more or less difficult then keeping thumbnail dart frogs, and if so, what are the differences?
In my opinion, I would say they are easier to keep because they are terrestrial, require larger feeders (hydei in my opinion are easier than melanogaster), they are less likely to escape, and are probably more productive. Another difference is price and whether they’re WC, LTC, or CB. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just recently added some bronze-backed Mantellas to my collection. They have been pretty easy to care for. I have 3 in with my lined day geckos and they have no difficulty competing for FF, are not particularly shy, and have no problem reaching all levels of an 18x18x24.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just recently added some bronze-backed Mantellas to my collection. They have been pretty easy to care for. I have 3 in with my lined day geckos and they have no difficulty competing for FF, are not particularly shy, and have no problem reaching all levels of an 18x18x24.
Just curious, how large are your day geckos? My day geckos like it hotter than dart frogs do, and slightly less humid I think. Can the mantellas tolerate higher temps than darts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The size of the geckos in the tank range from newly hatched to a smallish adult female. She is weird and hasn't figured out that baby geckos are delicious.....so many geckos......

The temp and humidity range quite a bit in different zones. Geckos tend to occupy the upper portion, frogs stay in the lower portion. Both freely range as per their desire. Found one frog hanging from the screen in front of the fan one morning....hot and muggy day in Minnesota....shoulda taken a picture :D

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Mantella frogs in my experience are not difficult to maintain, but can be very difficult to breed, especially baroni, nigricans, and cowani. Madagascariensis and pulchra produce very tiny froglets that is equivalent to raising about 50 or so pumilio froglets at once. So you have to be prepared and seed a compost springtail bin months in advance before your tadpoles morph out.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Mantella are pretty much the same as Dendrobatidae except they generally like it "cooler". I keep mine in the living room with my darts, except the mantella don't have a light on top of the enclosure adding heat.

Mantella are also typically seasonal. Especially for breeding, most need a dry and wet period.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
That depends on the species though. Most people would say to not let dart tanks get above 80. That is true for most mantellas to avoid heat related muscle spasm syndrome, but the lowland mantellas like ebenaui, expectata, and viridis will tolerate much higher and drier conditions. I prefer to keep expectata and ebenaui around 78 to 80 but with much more air circulation during the daytime to get them to breed. With highland species it’s not a good idea for long term.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts