Dendroboard banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
You make a good point and just by you contributing this thread to the forum will raise awareness.

I honestly looked into it after reading this so im sure others have too.

In fact, i wouldnt mind owning some M. Expectatas. (The blue legged are beautiful).

(If anyone has these available or knows someone who does, pls PM me.)

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I remember saying money is what motivates most people in the hobby. Many people disagreed. However, money will always motivate what frog is bought and breed, just like money will dictate what animal goes extinct and what lives. I find it quite sad.
Yeah. That's true. We see it here all the time, people asking which frogs are the most valuable...

Edit: make that expensive. They're all valuable.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mantellas are rare. And Steve's right these need to breEd like crazy. But nobody has anything to offer but the same old stuff. Doug and ray and a few others have showed and told us good things but we need others to show us pics and tell us info on breeding.

And many thanks to devin for what you do everyday.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Mantellas are rare. And Steve's right these need to breEd like crazy. But nobody has anything to offer but the same old stuff. Doug and ray and a few others have showed and told us good things but we need others to show us pics and tell us info on breeding.

And many thanks to devin for what you do everyday.
Click on the sponsors link and then click on the mantella banner. LOTS of useful info on their website.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
With all the imports that come in over the years, I'm curious what happens to all the frogs.

Of all the aurantiaca that have come in, and people buying them, I don't see that many offered CB.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I had produced a lot of cb aurantiaca in 2010, where are they all are now? Idk? I sold most of them to some of the sponsors here on d-board.
Steve

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I had produced a lot of cb aurantiaca in 2010, where are they all are now? Idk? I sold most of them to some of the sponsors here on d-board.
Steve
Yeah, its hard to really manage as many as we can produce. I know a few folks still working with my CB M. viridis, M. aurantiaca, M. laevigata, and M. ebenaui, but I also wholesaled a lot of offspring (or even gave away many). The sad part is that most of them are probably gone. However, that is the nature of the beast. One group of Mantella sp. could satisfy U.S. demand. If of all those offspring one group breeds, well, the line continues. It won't be genetically diverse...that is a whole other discussion.

Doug, how many Mads and others did you send out the last few years?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hello Jake,
At the moment I have tads & eggs from my aurantiaca & bernhardi.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I recall meeting a man somewhere not too far from Toamasina/Tamatave who spoke about how he rejected the offers of miners and did not allow them to build through his land. His pride when discussing it was pretty awesome...

In my experience it was very much like America... some people realize the gift we have, the ecosystem services that the forest may provide (that includes the joy of just looking at it, I dont mean just economic), and see it as something we must work with, not tame, in order for us and our children after us to survive and benefit from it. Some don't. Mind you, my experience was in a few small parts of eastern forests within a very large and diverse island...

I met many wonderful people, Malagas and foreigners (vazaha?) who doing some big things and changing a lot of minds.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I know a few folks with groups from me but haven't heard of any breeding, etc. I also still have my adult group but haven't bred them in a while.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
That's good to hear. Same here, I'm in contact with most people but the frogs are either too young or just haven't bred yet.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Maybe we could start a thread that acts as a mantella keepers database. It could be the name of member, species kept, and chart import dates so that we may diversify the genetics of our captive mantellas. I think this would be an invaluable tool to help eachother with locating stock, diversifying the gentics within breeding groups, and can be a resource for tips that members are able to share to help others find successes in care and breeding in general.

JBear

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have viridi, baroni, and aurantiaca.

No breeding yet. My aurantiaca were calling a lot throughout the fall but haven't heard any since

41 - 60 of 74 Posts