• ebenaui

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • crocea

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • milotympanum

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • laevigata

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • nigricans / baroni (they're genetically identical)

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • expectata (standard and blushing morph)

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • madagascariensis

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • pulchra

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • other (the rarer species not listed)

Votes: 5 11.4%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What species are you keeping currently? You can select more than one. And just for conversational piece, please specify if you have nigricans or baroni or both, same goes if you have standard or blushing or both.

I have both standard expectata and blushing (believed to be from Isalo Massif region in Madagascar). I used to keep nigricans but they all died on me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hello Doug,
I have baroni, and for expectata, mine are the standard. Where are the betsileo on the list? When did they find out about the baroni/nigricans, being the same? And finally, where is everyone getting all this new information? Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
309 Posts
As of right now I just have a group of pulchra and laevigata, but very soon I will be getting more species via Rain Frog!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
betsileo has been split into two species-- the southern form and the northern form. According to Devin Edmonds, we most likely have the form near Nosby Be, ebenaui, and not betsileo. They can only be distinguished by genetics unless you have the locale data.

Baroni and nigricans are genetically identical according to new research, but it is undecided if they truly should be classified as a separate species or remain the same. I have kept nigricans and they are more difficult to keep than the baroni morph, as they are finicky eaters in captivity.

Lehmanni I believe is identical to histrionicus, but lehmanni produces different toxins, I think.

There is a new species that looks identical to madagascarensis, but is only told apart by genetics.

baroni / nigricans

Evidence for recent gene flow between north-eastern and south-eastern Madagascan poison frogs from a phylogeography of the Mantella cowani group

I can't find the article, but according to Devin's site, ebenaui has been split.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As of right now I just have a group of pulchra and laevigata, but very soon I will be getting more species via Rain Frog!
And you better hurry up, these pulchra tadpoles are not getting any smaller! ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Picked up some cultures of springs today and have a couple froglet setups done already as well as morph out tank. Im about as ready as I will get now I think.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I shall be getting Mantella auriantica and Mantella baroni in November sometime....:)

Alex

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
As you've seen from my posts, I have goldens and baroni.

I also purchased expectata, but I never received them. :(

Deb

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sucks Deb. I have plenty of captive bred blushing expectata though :D

Does anyone have red aurantiaca?

·
Registered
252 Posts
My goldens range from a really light yellow orange to a really deep reddish orange

·
Registered
344 Posts
So far I just have goldens but I want expectata and laevigata. I just want to show the utmost care to the small group I have until I am sure they have settled in nicely.....then I will expand.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Right now I just have the milos.
I do have some tads but I am not holding out a whole lot of hope for them.

I would like to get some others next spring though. I would love to get my hands on some goldens or some more of the milos.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what is the reason why you're not hopeful? Please refresh me on the tadpole situation-- I know you were having some problems a while ago.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
*this thread is worthless without pics* :D When you state what you have, post up a shot or two!

I'd love to get ahold of some mantellas eventually.. but I promised myself I'd wait until I have more breeding success with my current species before I buy anything else. Sooner or later....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts