Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
i was planning for leaf tails but thought frogs might like it too...hmmm...
Meaning you will be mixing Uroplatus with a species of frog? I had talked to you before and you had mentioned Mantella laevigata. I would like you to reconsider mixing the species, I don't believe it will work out well. Between the stress levels, etc. Uroplatus must be kept warmer, like all reptiles, and mantellas just can't handle that. I am a firm believer in not mixing species, as most of you know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meaning you will be mixing Uroplatus with a species of frog? I had talked to you before and you had mentioned Mantella laevigata. I would like you to reconsider mixing the species, I don't believe it will work out well. Between the stress levels, etc. Uroplatus must be kept warmer, like all reptiles, and mantellas just can't handle that. I am a firm believer in not mixing species, as most of you know.
i think he means that he doesnt know if to put leaf tails in or frogs, not mix species :wink:

at least thats how it looks to me..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
::Mixxing::

agree with not mixing! I've talked many times that green anoles shouldn't be mixed with darts...

here is the case. the tank has a range of temps. at the top area, it's closer to 80 and the bottom the tank is measuring 70. there are places near the top that do get warmer as the hood was built with two 4 foot compacts, and two incandescent fixtures. one is for ambient heat for the top area and the other is no being used, until winter.
with the landscaping, micro climates, niches, and since both animals are from the same place in the real world, both are captive breed, and would occupy different areas of the tank, the owners feel that multi-species housing will be fine. i have argued this point already with them, but the customers in this case has to be right...it's their tank. East Bay Vivarium know the animals, and it's their money that built it. if it was a private tank, things might have been different. i would have put day geckos in it.
but as the sump is cooled, giving off cooler temps and the fogger is housed in the same area of the cabinet, pumped in from the top there is a good mix of climates in there. i was asked to build a large tank for Mantellas. afterwards the owners decided to add the leaf tails.

as for the greenback mantellas, those were for my ten gallon foam and mortar tank...on my desk. i don't mix and i don't think anyone else should either...but East Bay Vivarium has been around long enough to know their stuff, has experience and it's their tank, i just built it.

besides, leaf tail from all tha ti've learned don't like it above 80 and in fact, like it cooler. breeding them in captivity is easy once your vivarium is able to be cooled off to about 60 in the winter. i'm just glad they changed their mind about the dwarf ground chems they were thinking about.
8-/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one more from the road...

it will house red ear, and painted mantella from what i hear. not sure the the leaf tails yet...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
it will house red ear
Not quite sure what that is. Maybe black-eared mantella (M. aurantiaca milotympanum)? Mantellas of different species can hybridize just like darts can, but it's not as serious if the eggs are not sold.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Some dart sites recomend houseing greens, with darts in a large viv, so that they will eat the left over crickets, i wouldnt do it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts