Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my mantellas (sold to me last year as mantella madagascariensis, but I believe they are baroni) just laid eggs for the first time. The eggs were laid in a clump out in the open, on gravel. The eggs weren't laid on moss or leaves, but on gravel. The eggs weren't laid under a coco hut or under leaves or under anything else in the tank, but out in the open. I read that they are sensitive to light, so I placed a coco hut over them. Is this the right thing to do? Does anyone know why the eggs were laid in the open? This seems counter to everything I've read. Thank you in advance for your insights.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know about other Mantellas yet, but my Golden laid under the moss. I think you did good by covering them. Leave them, to give time to be fertilized. And observe for development, to remove tadpoles later. The Tadpoles will clinch together in a goo. Then place them in a container on moss and little water. Enough water for them to wiggle off from the goo. Then incrementaly add water, after changes. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts