Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be moving my 2 groups(9 total) of M. laevigata from their temp tanks to a 60 gallon hex. Any thoughts on having a rock wall/running water(low flow waterfall)?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Running water for mantellas is always good. However, as you probably have experience with, laevigata has a different breeding strategy. People recommend using jungle pods, water bowls, or other small water cavities to raise the tadpoles. If your water feature flows into a small pond, perhaps that would be beneficial to raising the tads if you can get the parents to deposit near the water.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running water for mantellas is always good. However, as you probably have experience with, laevigata has a different breeding strategy. People recommend using jungle pods, water bowls, or other small water cavities to raise the tadpoles. If your water feature flows into a small pond, perhaps that would be beneficial to raising the tads if you can get the parents to deposit near the water.
I actually have a tadpole in one of the temp tanks. I used plastic cups with leaves in them. I do have pods of some variety for their permanent tank though. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I kept and bred M. laevigata a number of years ago. Unfortunately, I lost most of my frogs when a 2 week recovery from "least invasive" back surgery turned into 2 1/2 months!
My laevigata tank had a waterfall and small stream running into a small pond. My females laid single eggs around the pond circumference (as opposed to the nesting cups in bamboo stems I provided), and hatching tads fell into the water. I left them to develop in situ, and my 2 pairs soon turned into a colony of 14, before calamity struck.
I've been gradually rebuilding my collection, and would like to get laevigatas again. Do you know of a source? Thanks.:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I kept and bred M. laevigata a number of years ago. Unfortunately, I lost most of my frogs when a 2 week recovery from "least invasive" back surgery turned into 2 1/2 months!

My laevigata tank had a waterfall and small stream running into a small pond. My females laid single eggs around the pond circumference (as opposed to the nesting cups in bamboo stems I provided), and hatching tads fell into the water. I left them to develop in situ, and my 2 pairs soon turned into a colony of 14, before calamity struck.

I've been gradually rebuilding my collection, and would like to get laevigatas again. Do you know of a source? Thanks.:)

Do you have any pictures of your setup? I am building a viv for Baronis and I’m wondering how I can do the stream and pond.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts