Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have somewhat recently acquired a group of frogs from an inexperienced keeper, and am in the process of sorting everyone out. I was wondering if I could get an identification on whether or not these are Mantella baroni or Mantella madagascariensis, and which one is male and which one is female. This is my first time keeping these guys, so please forgive my ignorance!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Based on looking at the two I just bought I would say the first one is a barroni which looks just like both mine. The second one looks like all the pics I saw of mad can't spell it but the second variety. Barroni have stripes/slash on legs not splotches as second one. As far as sex I'm new my pair female male I bought one is large and chunky. Other smaller and trim, Think large one is male. If you get or got the answer would be interested and knowing

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes; but you would not just be crossing locales, but crossing species. Don't do it if you even have a tiny suspicion they are not the same species.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They both appear to be Mantella baroni, after pretty thorough exploration of both the original seller and the colors and dot configurations on both frogs. I have come to the conclusion that they are both just chubby males, as I've caught them both calling at one point or another!

So, if anyone has any leads on some female baroni, I would love to start seeing these guys become apart of the captive-bred community!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts