Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone still working with cowanii still? I know they have not been imported in many years but I wanted to know if anyone had success with them.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Unfortunately, there's probably less than half a dozen people working with these in the States. I don't think anyone has had sustained success in breeding these

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. What seems to be the main issue with breeding? Is it tad survival, bad clutches or something else?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Many of the mantellas seem to breed readily/successfully in captivity, such as aurantiaca, madagascariensis, and laevigata. Members of the "cowani group" (baroni, nigricans, and cowani) seem to be especially difficult to breed. From experience with baroni, and from what I have heard of others working with the "group", there are difficulties at every stage of breeding -- from initiating breeding behavior, to tadpoles morphing into froglets. For cowani, certainly one obstacle is the access to frogs...

You can do a deep dive with google on the subject:
https://www.google.com/search?q=den...WTmHIEHSX6AI8QrQIoBHoECAcQBQ&biw=1536&bih=694

The most recent success I've heard of with the "group" was Josh's Frogs offering TWO captive bred baroni froglets (in 2018 I think?)

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Part of the problem with cowani, nigricans, and baroni is pickiness of what they'll eat. They will eat crickets and flightless fruit flies but they don't "chow down" and gain a lot of weight on the conventional feeder items like the aurantiaca group or the expectata group. Nigricans and cowani seem to like the movements of springtail / termites but wild collected termites are risky plus nobody seems to have gotten the larger black springtails cultured anymore. Cowani don't seem to like isopods, bean beetles, nor fruit fly larvae.

The other issue is that like most other mantellas, a large group is preferable and significantly increases your chance of getting eggs, possibly due to hormonal and behavioral influences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the info. Yeah I’ve noticed the aurantica group is on the easier side for sure. I’ve had 2 really good clutches from my milos recently. When I can expand I want to get a group of goldens and maybe baroni as well.

It’s too bad that the cowani group is hard to breed besides being hard to come by. Especially since a lot of cowani’s habitat is degraded in the wild.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Many of the mantellas seem to breed readily/successfully in captivity, such as aurantiaca, madagascariensis, and laevigata. Members of the "cowani group" (baroni, nigricans, and cowani) seem to be especially difficult to breed. From experience with baroni, and from what I have heard of others working with the "group", there are difficulties at every stage of breeding -- from initiating breeding behavior, to tadpoles morphing into froglets. For cowani, certainly one obstacle is the access to frogs...

You can do a deep dive with google on the subject:
https://www.google.com/search?q=den...WTmHIEHSX6AI8QrQIoBHoECAcQBQ&biw=1536&bih=694

The most recent success I've heard of with the "group" was Josh's Frogs offering TWO captive bred baroni froglets (in 2018 I think?)
Actually Josh's frogs had froglets this march, around 4 or 5 I think. They were gone within 24h of being online. If you put a notification on their website you get an email when they come back in stock, which will likely be next year. I talked to Zach a while back about keeping and breeding baroni and he mentioned having some tadpoles every year. But definitely no numbers like madagascariensis or aurantiaca.

Edit: I noticed I failed to note the species. I was talking about M. baroni

Reactions: hypostatic

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Actually Josh's frogs had froglets this march, around 4 or 5 I think. They were gone within 24h of being online.
I was talking about M. baroni
I didn't even notice those! This makes sense. I've seen some newer pictures of froglets on that page recently; they must have come from a subsequent batch of froglets.

Part of the problem with cowani, nigricans, and baroni is pickiness of what they'll eat. They will eat crickets and flightless fruit flies but they don't "chow down" and gain a lot of weight on the conventional feeder items like the aurantiaca group or the expectata group.
Yeah, I've definitely seen this with my baroni. They don't put on weight like my other frogs.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I know you brought up cowani BUT-- you have... MILOS?

Thanks guys for all the info. Yeah I’ve noticed the aurantica group is on the easier side for sure. I’ve had 2 really good clutches from my milos recently. When I can expand I want to get a group of goldens and maybe baroni as well.

It’s too bad that the cowani group is hard to breed besides being hard to come by. Especially since a lot of cowani’s habitat is degraded in the wild.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I have a group of 5, 3 males 2 females. I have about 20 larger tads hatched on July 6th. And another 20 smaller tads hatched on the 16th. I have about 20 more eggs with a bunch fertile that should hatch within a few days. That’s most likely going to be it for this season since I want to give the female a break since it’s been almost 3 months of “rainy season” conditions. So I’m going to slowly wean them towards winter once I hatch these eggs.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Yeah I have a group of 5, 3 males 2 females. I have about 20 larger tads hatched on July 6th. And another 20 smaller tads hatched on the 16th. I have about 20 more eggs with a bunch fertile that should hatch within a few days. That’s most likely going to be it for this season since I want to give the female a break since it’s been almost 3 months of “rainy season” conditions. So I’m going to slowly wean them towards winter once I hatch these eggs.
Do you have a FB page? Any pics of the frogs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don’t have a Facebook but I’m going to make a public insta soon for my animals. I have one good pic of one of my males and I have a few pics of the tads. I need to get more pictures with my camera, I don’t like my phone as much lol. I’ll put them on my imgur and post them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok awesome, I’ll upload more pics of my group soon. Just helping my friend with a new expectata setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for not adding more pictures yet, been a little busy on my end. But the milos laid a 4th clutch And it’s the 3rd one fertile! I’ll try not to stray too far from the original subject. I’m going to try and get a group baroni and nigricans to try and breed some species from the cowani group.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some good news in the Mantella society, my first baroni clutch!

I combined my WC animals with another group (as we don't trust the CB 100% yet) to increase the chances of breeding.

Not sure if fertilized yet as the picture was taken the day after they were laid, but they're laid in a nice compact clump underneath a coco hut so definitely good signs there.

Reactions: Tijl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some good news in the Mantella society, my first baroni clutch!

I combined my WC animals with another group (as we don't trust the CB 100% yet) to increase the chances of breeding.

Not sure if fertilized yet as the picture was taken the day after they were laid, but they're laid in a nice compact clump underneath a coco hut so definitely good signs there.
Nice! Keep us updated on how it goes.

Here are the new pics of the mantellas:
https://imgur.com/a/PCMczEZ

1 - 20 of 24 Posts