Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering who is working with Mantella bernhardi? I still have most of my group from 2011 and some f1's, BUT it would be nice to know that their is someone else still working/ breeding these? Please pm me or respond to this thread. I am looking for some f1's to add to my f1's. Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hey Steve,
Supposedly some bernhardi came in like a month or two ago, I think a couple of the larger retailers bought them all up so they shouldn't be too hard to locate. I know that's not exactly what you are looking for but figured it couldn't hurt to mention it.
-Field

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I had ordered some the morning that they had placed them on their site, got a conformation email, then got another one saying they were sold out... and they have no idea when or if they will get more...
Steve

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
LA reptile is getting a Madagascar shipment in about 2 weeks, they said they usually get plenty of berhardi, as well as a few cowani.

D

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
LA reptile is getting a Madagascar shipment in about 2 weeks, they said they usually get plenty of berhardi, as well as a few cowani.

D
I thought cowani hadn't come in for a long time since they are so endangered? If they are coming in, then I hope they all get bought by the most experienced breeders.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Bernhardt and cowani could easily be mis-ID'd by someone uneducated on the specifics of each species. If the exporter told a local to 'collect small black frogs with yellow-orange legs' it can, and is, entirely possible. Remember A. fulguritus came in with histrionica as mis-ID's and look at the difference.

D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bernhardt and cowani could easily be mis-ID'd by someone uneducated on the specifics of each species. If the exporter told a local to 'collect small black frogs with yellow-orange legs' it can, and is, entirely possible. Remember A. fulguritus came in with histrionica as mis-ID's and look at the difference.

D
I don't think Cowani and berhardi even exist in the same parts of Madagascar. Meaning that in order for them to be mixed up in the same import the collectors are going to have to travel, and go out of their way to seek out the few dinky, fragmented, and severely degraded habitats the cowani still survive in. Then they collect the high-profile and endangered species and mix them in with a bunch of berhardi for export? I've never heard of this happening. +/-2003 was the end of cowani imports into the States as far as I know. Unless some have been smuggled in, and again that's not something I've heard/read is common, as far as Madagascan frogs go, they would be "illegal" all the same. Thanks, JVK

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. :)
So..... is there ANYONE out there working with Mantella bernhardi yet?? (Besides myself & the people that have some of my offspring)
Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have a group of 5 or 6 with both males and females. I got them back in 2011 as well. Mine bred at first but have since I moved them into a larger tank. They bred for me in a 5 gallon but not in a 20. If you have tips i would be interested to know.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a group of 5 in a 38 gallon, use to be 7. I have a pond in the tank, sphagnum moss & film cans where I want them to lay. I follow basic mantella husbandry for them as well. They have bred for me every spring/summer.
Steve

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey George,
You can pm me if you'd like. I would be more than happy to share what I know!
Steve

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
cowani have not been legally imported since 2003. Period. Cowani are also native to high plateaus and are difficult to find. I am very skeptical that cowani would come in "misidentified" considering the great difficulty it would be to acquire them for so little money.

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
It's good to see you around Doug. BTW, did you see that Frog Probiotics article from the other day? I thought it'd be of interest to you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts