Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask others out there of their mantellas behavior, what they keep their frogs at (temp, humidity, water features, etc.)

I have heard many mantellas are shy, and my betsileo are very shy. I virtually never see them, but when they were in a critter keeper, the male would be out and about and calling. However, my temperature is always near 78 degrees during the day, sometimes 80-82, definitely the upper limits of lowland mantellas. I have no water features.

I have heard many lowlanders are shy frogs, but they come out more if there is a water feature present and they are kept cool enough? Information is very sketchy on lowlanders like viridis and expectata.

I have subsequently heard that M. madagascarensis is also very shy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
After several months of hardly ever seeing my 0.0.5 M.viridis during their "winter" rest, I recently upped the temperature, feeding, and the *humidity* and I'm surprised at how outgoing they have become.
IMHO, humidity is the most important factor in this behavioural change. Another couple of weeks and I'll flood the substrate, keeping everything crossed.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My virdis and baroni beg for food, but I have had them for almost 2 years now. Like any frog, the temps, humidity, and tank design will affect how much you see your frogs. I tend to let my permanent tanks get overgrown since it makes the frogs come out more. Also it may take them a month or two to feel comfortable if you haven't had them for long.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh. Question. How DO I keep humidity at 100%? I can only succeed with 85% in my tinc tank with drip wall, fogger, but i have a large ventilation slot to keep temps down and good circulation. My tinc loves it.

I got a response from Devin, and it could very well be my temperature range, and rather low humid setup...but he says that viridis tend to be shy, as he has viridis. But, Heather, you keep viridis, and now I'm hearing different things, but then again, I'd be interested in your setups more, with pics.

I've had them for a year. They were infants, no bigger than a tricolor wild caughts. Still remember feeding them only springtails, except Penny, my big female.

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Rain_Frog said:
Ahh. Question. How DO I keep humidity at 100%? I can only succeed with 85% in my tinc tank with drip wall, fogger, but i have a large ventilation slot to keep temps down and good circulation.

Doug
How are you measuring you're humidity? I've tried a couple of analog meters, and 85 is about as high as they go.
A digital meter is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, :lol: I've got cheapo "Kritterz" dial types that you can buy from Petco, the kind you stick on your wall.

So, do you think the humidity is really much higher?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Yep!
I have some vert tens set up (no critters in them yet) with a 2x10 inch screen section accross the top, no water feature, no fogger, no drip wall, cork + greatstuff background, and I only have to mist (by hand) every other day to keep the humidity in the mid 90's.
I use a bio-naire brand digital moniter, its a big(ish) looking thing, but also records high and low for both humidity and temp...too bad it doesn't have a remote probe. I got it for under thirty bucks at the local hardware store...I'd like to have a few more of them! It really helps (for setting up) to be able to see how high/low the paramaters are.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mantella

Hi,

My mantella viridis are really less shy for about 3 month...

The change was putting walls in three place in the vivarium...

a water feature thats works... mind never works really good in the past...

misting nozzle... thats is really great...

and a temperature change really bigger.. at nigth 19 to 20 and at 13pm 23 to 24...

The male jump all around and th female make terretory...

The only bad thing is no eggs for the moments...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does your virids still hate you?

Flash, Penny, and Autumn sure hate me. :? I promised them a beautiful tank last Fall, but the tank design didn't work out well, so they got dumped in a boring 10 gallon quarantine tank with a bunch of weedy plants. I haven't heard Flash call in nearly a year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes and no....

They are really active and they are jumping in the terrarium so no they don't hate me... I can take a lot of picture...

Yes.... they don't F/$%.

So...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Doug,

Here is what I have noticed with my colony of M. viridis. I had them in a sparsley planted 55 gallon. They hid all the time and were very shy. I then moved them into a 29 gallon with running water. Although they were always hiding, they called the most in this size, and layed a clutch of eggs within 8 weeks of being in it. THen I moved them into a 55 with a water feature as I increased my colony size. For a few weeks they were hiding a lot, but as they grew acustom to it, they were always out, and I could almost always count 7 out of the 8 frogs living in it. THis viv is heavily planted, temps were ranging from 68 at night up to 74 during the day. Now that temps are warming up and I won't have methods too cool my room well until the A/C is going, they have gone back into hiding, and come out when I feed. I still can count 4 out of the 8 at a time usually. So for lowland, they seem to be most active in cooler weather, due to it most resembling their breeding season. I also am a firm believer in heavy vegetation to make a frog more bold. I mean, viridis are the most shy species I have encountered, and to be able to count 7 out of 8 in a viv that size most of the time is remarkable I feel. I haven't done much with betsileo, as my young male I received died shortly after receiving him. I imagine they are very similar to viridis though. Drop me a pm or email if you want to furhter discuss this, Take care of penny and ???(forgot the males name). See ya later,

Ed Parker

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ed, where did you get your betsileo?

Penny was gravid for a while, but then, well, I noticed one day her belly wasn't so swollen, potentially she expelled it. :?

Ah. My hunch was right. My temps are WAY too warm, despite betsis are such tough frogs. And, there is no running water.

However, Paul Cimino might be making me a 10 gallon acrylic, where I can install some nice bulkheads and drainage system. :D I've got a fogger, so hopefully I can expect Penny to come "into heat again." I think I really do have another female, she's grown huge over the last few months, relative to the male.

I did not want to deal with drilling glass, and considering my LFS refused to drill a 10 gallon, (also, no insurance and you pay $20 a hole), I think I'll go with acrylic tank or just another 20 gal. I don't have time to take out epoxy, so I've put that on hold.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Doug,

I got the betsileo from xtremereptiles a few months ago. He was supposed to be an expectata, but, oh well :roll: . As for the water features, I just have false bottoms in all my tanks, which I run a pump underneath. It is very easy, and you can make waterfalls, and streams, etc. It really is simple. I had my viridis group for over a year in the first 55 gallon without ANY egg production and only a rare call here and there. ONce they got a small stream, they went banana's. Just keep that in mind, if you are intending to breed. Also, I would have a group of atleast 3, 2 males and 1 female :) Good luck,

Ed Parker

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sadly enough my virdis (5) are crammed into a heavily planted 10 gallon with a water bowl and glass canopy. The tank stays fogged up, so I know the humidity is high. They are next to a breeding pair of azureus on my rack. I was going to move them into a bigger tank, but I have gotten so manyother frogs, I haven't gotten around to it. They actually seem quite happy. I hear my males call every night, the females are fat, and they come to the front of the tank all of the time. I'll try to get a picture tonight.

I think I have the biggest mantellas, I actually had to cut back because one of the females was pot-bellied. Once I get a bigger place, they are going back into their old 30 xtra high tank, which is now occupied by my sub-adult tincs. I have used every inch of available space in my house for frogs, even my bedroom closet has fruitflies and tadpoles, my dresser has a 20 L with auratus, the tincs are in my bedroom, next is my dining room table at the rate I am going. :lol:

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have three betsileo in a 10 gallon. I think the whole rule with territory is a bit overrated with mantellas, but I could be wrong, specifically if we talk about aurantiaca. They aren't nearly as active as dart frogs, but you gotta be careful when it comes to waste, as they poop a lot. :shock:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have six viridis in a 30 gallons and they terretory is only in the rigth side. They never go in the left portion, only when they see a long ff.

The two know for sure male, don't have a real territorry... they go, they come, they jump... they are not really in the same place each days. I never see them figth... one upon a time one go in a spot in the view of every one put is head up and sing... the other male come see and go away or find a another spot and sing.

The female, are always in the same area... they have one or two spot... My more big female have two post... They never go in a hiding of a another female. but I never seen a female figth... I thing the more they are bigger and stronger they can Have the best hiding spot.

This is my observation... this is not scientific... cause a lot of you are considering viridis like a shy species but mind are really active...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah. That would make a LOT of sense why Penny used to guard an area and stay there. Rarely did Autumn venture over there. She is the dominant female. This makes you wonder whether or not it really is a survival strategy, not just "boldness due to toxicity" or something like that. When they were in their old tank, Penny would sit high up on a dumbcane plant (i have no idea how she got up there) right up against the glass. She would stay there, whether I tapped the glass or whatever. Funny thing was, Autumn was hiding in Penny's former spot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thing is the way that you put your decoration in the vivarium that you will see or not the mantella viridis...

They need a lot of shadow place in the day...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ed. I think, not 100% yet, but Paul is offering to make me an acrylic 10 gallon with some bulkheads. I really do not have room for a bigger tank, nor do I've got more money, despite Xtremereptiles owes me a mantella because of their guarantee. I hate false bottoms because my pumps always get clogged. :x But they do an excellent job with sexing, not 100% sure fire, but they definitely gave me a pair out of three frogs. Penny was surely a female, Flash, surely a guy. Autumn, well, we don't know still (she hides too much!).

That is because alfredo's wife breeds aurantiaca.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
doug, to eliminate your pump getting clogged, make a small filter for it. I usually use the pond filter material, and make a slight encloser out of it. I can't think of what that dang stuff is called, but it is almost like styrofoam, but much larger pores. or even fish tank filter material would work, and make a small pouch for the pump. I make something for the pump in most my vivs though, and I haven't had to tear anything out yet, and some have been flowing for months.

Ed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts