Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give up can any one tell by the pictures if these are males or females or are they a pair they never fight and are always together

·
Registered
621 Posts
I always respond to sexing questions. Usually because noone else does. I probably shouldnt, but i figure people just want an answer, not neccesarily an expert who is 100% sure of the answer. My guess is thats a pair. The frogs look strikingly similar, but the bottom frog appears to be bigger therefore i guess its a female, and the top frog would be the male. Hope I am right, and you should gets eggs soon.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Although it's tough to see from the pics, I would venture to call it 2.0 the angular back is pronounced in both of them (males), whereas in a female there would be less angle and more pear-shaped. Try to post a couple more pics so we can tell for sure.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very hard to tell but i think they are 2 females. Need better quality picture. I am practically guessing from that picture

·
Registered
696 Posts
Great so far we have "uh they are either male or female". :roll:
But they look like well fed males to me. Nothing like the body shape of my 4 female auratus.

Mike

·
Registered
621 Posts
I can see it being 2 females, they look alot alike and size is not always a sex indicator. I have very limited almost zero, aurautus experience so 2 females guess seems very reasonable to me.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Auratus calls are faint so it's not the best indicator and if they are not old enough they won't call. Like I mentioned before body shape is a good indicator. Females tend to have a pear shape, while the male has more of a hump or angle in the back. That is why I thought they are both male. I have 11 auratus all coming into breeding age. I've been seeing courtship but no eggs yet but soon as one of my females is getting big.

Mike

·
Registered
893 Posts
I.D

I would tend to agree with mike about body shape as an indicater I have bred many of this morph and can sex them pretty early on but the pics are not the best to make guesses on. Get them in containers where you can veiw them side by side the male will appear longer and thinner and the female will be more robust with a pear shape, or you can take better shots of each.

Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Body shape looks male to me too. I have 2.2 g&b auratus, and as Mike said, my females are pear shaped and rounder. The males are more angular and narrow. As for mating calls, either I have really good ears, or I just got lucky and wound up with two males that are unusually loud for auratus. I can hear them clearly from other parts of the house (if the door to the frog room is open). That may be faint compared to other frogs, like leucamelas, but I can't compare since I've never heard the leucs before.

Also, do you know how old your two frogs are, Winona?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts