Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my frogs for about 3 1/2 weeks. Right when I got them they laid twice in a 3 day period a total of 16 eggs. Those eggs are now all tadpoles and the female is full of eggs again. Every morning she rushes to the male, touching him, following him, trying to court with him. But he won't call and just hops away from her until she gets the hint that he isn't interested and gives up. I have a few guesses.
Maybe he didn't like the fact that I took the eggs away since they did lay in two different cocohuts one after the other?
Or maybe the female is too pushy?
The male is always on the hunt for the springtails in the tank and I feed them fruit flies every day. And im sure they're getting the correct amount of vitamins and calcium.
What do you think?
He did start calling about a week and a half ago. The female was following him but he wouldn't lead her to a coconut hut so the female gave up.
Should I rearrange the coconut huts in the tank?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The temp in the tank stays somewhere around 76 to 78 and the humidity stays around 84% or so, the humidity never goes lower than that

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Try skipping every other day with feeding n misting. After a week or 2 of that, switch to heavy feeding and heavy misting. That might get him feelin' froggie.....

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
What species are the frogs?

It's not uncommon for frogs to breed very shortly after going through a stressful event, such as being placed in a new vivarium. The frogs probably think it's the end of the world, and are trying desperately to pass on their genes. Given time, I'm sure they'll settle in to a routine.

I would not bother cycling them with reduced/increased food or wet/dry cycles, as it's not necessary if the female is producing eggs and the male is calling.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
What species are the frogs?

It's not uncommon for frogs to breed very shortly after going through a stressful event, such as being placed in a new vivarium. The frogs probably think it's the end of the world, and are trying desperately to pass on their genes. Given time, I'm sure they'll settle in to a routine.

I would not bother cycling them with reduced/increased food or wet/dry cycles, as it's not necessary if the female is producing eggs and the male is calling.

^This.... if it's only been 3.5 weeks I wouldn't be concerned. Give them some time and they'll most likely be fine

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. I have a pair that's doing the same thing. They laid the night I picked them up from the post office--only one egg was good, though--and they went about three weeks before laying again.

You might want to consider putting standing water in the tank. I've heard that standing water isn't good, but I've found that my frogs ALWAYS breed more if they have water, even if it's just in a big cup they can sit in. The frogs I mentioned before only started breeding again when I put the water in.

·
Registered
599 Posts
like Brinks said, in the wild there's a wet/dry season, the frogs breed more prolifically when it's more wet and they're fatter. the wetness gives them the security that their tads won't dry out, and the fatness yields healthier eggs. It's also way to soon to tell if they're breeding or not. some thumbnail frogs won't breed for months after being moved/reintroduced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.