Dendroboard banner

What is the gender of this Citronella Tinc?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I received this now ~9 month old tinc at 3 months old I was told it was a girl. I have 2 for sure males and 2 for sure females - this frog behaves more like the males. It seems to be getting bigger toe pads than the other 2 females as well. any help or opinions would be appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'm thinking male, based on body shape and toepads, but at 9 months, it might be a little early yet.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have a female Citro that is slender like yours and prduces eggs. You need to introduce this frog into a tank containing a female who has established territory. If the unknown is female your dom female should fight it. If the unknown is male it should start calling.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have 1 tank of Tincs so I can't test its behavior with an established female. The guy I got 3 of my Tincs from told me they were all girls... but they were only 3 months OOW when he gave them to me which I thought was pretty early to say

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Let me just say that if someone could sex tincs at 3 months, they could make a living just sexing frogs so that people could sell sexed paired froglets. I've never known anyone that could do that, but I could be wrong.

Perhaps he's a frog whisperer? :D
I only have 1 tank of Tincs so I can't test its behavior with an established female. The guy I got 3 of my Tincs from told me they were all girls... but they were only 3 months OOW when he gave them to me which I thought was pretty early to say

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol JimO, i thought it was a little strange but like I said - I'm a newbie and he is the guy with 20 tanks so I wasn't about to question him to his face lol I do think the other 2 he gave me are girls though

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just wanted to post to bring this feed back up to the first page to get more views and opinions :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
can I get a revote?

I think it's too young. A more mature female would have a bigger body right above the thighs. this frogs girth is from food. notice the lumps.

A more mature male 18+ months old would definately have bigger toe pads. ;)

BTW... Can I say just how annoyed I am at people sexing frogs WAY too early just to make an extra buck or a quick sale. I've seen this crap with at least two vendors from this sight and short of misrepresenting species, morphs or locals that is just down right poor conduct for a professional breeder/retailer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the input Ben - I haven't seen much on HOW to identify sex other than toe pads so I appreciate you explaining the female/girth. :) i think you are probably right about people sexing frogs too early to make more sales but in this case I was given the frogs for free so I have no complaints. I already had 2 male citronella tincs and an acquaintance of mine thought he had 3 females and no males - since he was trying to downsize his collection he just gave them to me for free. so in this case, i don't mind the early sexing. in fact - i hope it is a boy because all 5 of my Tincs live together and i would rather have 3m 2f (less worry about female aggression) than 2m 3f.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
My first tincs, at 9 months old, I was convinced was a pair. At 14 months, my female started calling. :D

Can you get a side by side pic with this frog and one that you are sure of the sex?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm working on getting some pics of my "sure" males (haven't called yet... ~13 months old and live with three 10 month olds) next to my frog-in-question. i just got a new camera so i've been working on figuring out all the settings - luckily i have some beautiful froggies as models :) i'll get pics up by tomorrow for sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts