Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a leuc from a guy who claimed it was a proven female. I then introduced a male who started calling almost immediately. The male will wrestle the supposed female for long periods of time, smashing the other frog.

I separated them for the time being. Is it just possible I have two males and one isn't calling for me because it feels so beat down? My known male calls all the time. Especially if I play a recording of another male calling. My wife thought she saw and heard the other one call but it was to faint to really hear while the other is clear as day.

If I do in fact have a male and female when, if ever, is it safe to reintroduce them?

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you still have them separated, you could try playing a recording of the call to see if the one you are unsure of calls. If it was right after the male calls that they fight it could be two males. You could try posting a picture of the supposed female to see if anyone can take their guess on if it is a male or not.

I have a 2.2 group and they seem to all wrestle with eachother from time to time. As long as their is enough spaces for them to break up and have their alone time they have been alright so far. If you do ever decide to put them back together, make sure to keep an eye on them to make sure one doesn't loose any weight.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Leucs' aggression is normally between females so consider the fact that there may have been the beginnings of sexual behavior instead of fighting. Was he chasing the female around the viv. alot?
The calling trick sounds like a good idea to try to prove otherwise. Is the assumed female larger than the male you have? Females are normally larger than males the same age. Are they young adults or full grown?
I'm sure the senior members can give you some advice on this popular species; one of my favorites since I started keeping PDFs in '07.
Good Luck with them....

·
Registered
89 Posts
My females leucomelas did the same thing every time I put a recorded call.
I'm sure you have 2 females.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a 2.1 proven group of leucs and have witnessed the female and one male wrestling before in the early morning hours. I witnessed it twice with no ill effects; however, I have not seen that activity often. I know this doesn't help much, because it is uncommon; however, it has happened with us. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input. I've had them separated for about 5 days now. My male (which I know is a proven male as I purchased him from my good friend) calls all the time.

When I play a recording for my other leuc to try to get a response, my known male will start calling. Even if i play the recording from across the room. I get no calling in return from my other leuc. The guy I got it from said it was a proven female but i'm now wondering if it is just a young male that isnt calling yet.

My male DOES chase the other one around the tank. And then jumps on the other one and moves around. I have a 29 gallon so there is plenty of space. I thought the female is supposed to chase the male though in courting behavior.

I'll try to get a good picture to show the size difference when I get the chance.

Thanks again for all your comments.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've attached a few pictures of the frog that I was told is a female.
I also attached one showing the male smashing it.

My male is about 3 years old. He's definitely bigger than the frog in question. He calls, chases the frog down to smash it, jumps off, then calls again.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Male leucs are normally smaller than the females, so I would say that you either its too young or its a male :/ I sex my leucs based on body shape, not toepads. I have heard that toepads are not as accurate of a measure for leucs, however this frog does look more like a male to me. This thread is a good measure for how a female vs male should look. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/breeding-eggs-tadpoles/89106-side-side-images-leucs.html

How does the unsexed frog act when you play the recording? My females will normally get closer to the sound and try to figure out where it is coming from.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I always thought that the heart shaped toepads were a better measure for tincs sex.. but it is pretty obvious who's male and female in my group based on body shape.. that definitely looks like a male to me even though you haven't seen calling. I have a group of leucs and, although I have seen both my males calling, the dominant one is the only one that's really "allowed" calling privaleges. Could be the same situation with your two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up a female locally and instantly my known male and the new female began courting in the proper way. The (assumed female) is definitely a male.
I wish the guy I got it from would have just been honest with me rather than saying it was a proven female, but so goes life.

Thanks again for everyones comments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts