Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
3 males and 1 female would be better as long as they have a large enough tank. If you have a really large tank your ratio could work. I wouldn't attempt it if you're newer to the hobby.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
You should only keep one female due to aggression. Females of the tinctorius species will fight and sometimes kill each other. You could always keep females in seperate tanks. What you should do is 3 males and 1 female. you might be able to keep two females together if your tank is 65+ gallons. if you do decide to keep 3 males and 1 female, you should still have a pretty large tank(40+ gallons).

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you have a large tank and would like to do a group frog you should consider something other than Tincs. There is plenty of other species that work well in a group setting.

Tincs in generally do not do well in groups, except for possibly one or two of the smaller morphs but someone with more Tinc experience can speak better about that

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I wanted to know if 3 males and 2 females (D. Tinctorius Alanis) will be a good group ratio?
Not really, tincs can be quite aggressive with individuals of the same sex... I would stick with a pair for best results or choose a frog that is more tolerant of groups.
Bryan

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I adopted 9 (D. Tinctorius Alanis) from a guy on craigslist who literally had the frogs on their death bed. 7 months later all the frogs a completely healthy. At this time 5 of them can be sexed due to body shape and toe pads.

Since I don't keep my frogs in groups only in pairs, I'm seeking knowledge from those who have experience with keeping groups. I don't want to keep pairs because its to much tank space and space is limited. If necessary i will until the winter is over and sell them. Please add your thoughts.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Trying to keep a group like that would take a HUGE tank. I would be glad to help with advice on how to ship successfully in the winter if you choose to go that route. With the advent of phase change materials, like Phase 22 Packs, it is possible to ship in single digit weather. Most recently I shipped some green Sirensis and a friend Benedicta froglets from low 20's here in Colorado to below 15 F and they arrived with an internal temp of right about 70 F. Let me know if you would like any help with that.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I keep many of my tinctorius in groups, and generally do not have issues. Occasionally, it does not work out, but most of my tincs that were raised up together seem to do just fine. My average tank size is 24x18x24 inches, and they are fairly heavily planted, with many visual barriers incorporated into the design so that the frogs are not staring at each other all the time. Groups that are currently working for me in this size tank are: 2.3 yellowbacks, 1.3 powder blues, 3.2 boulanger, 2.2 brazilian yellow heads, (probable) 2.2 green sips, (probable) 2.2 lorenzo. All of these tincs are at least a year old, and several groups have been housed together for multiple years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts