Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for a male cobalt to be as big as a female? I have one that has big toe pads but is the same size as the one with small toe pads, and both are way bigger than the male with big toe pads. what do you think? This is the frog in question.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Females can have larger toepads as well. How do the body shapes compare? Mature females should be getting plump right about now.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Some frogs just stay smaller than others; they may have been "stunted" while growing because of stress, too much food competition, inadequate nutrition, etc. and stay smaller than other frogs of the same age. I had a female azureus who was about the same size of, if not slightly smaller than, a large mature male I bought to pair her with, but I let the female grow on her own in enough space and a year later she is bigger now. The key to remember is that if you want a frog to grow bigger as an adult, it will barely or not at all grow if it is breeding; separate it and house it on its own and it still should grow even as an adult.
Or, it could be that judging by toe pads just is not always reliable 100% of the time...
Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
There are certainly female tinctorius with large toepads and males with narrower toepads. I had a female Patricia that I was working toward getting a male for, until one day I caught her calling away.

Based on the shape of this frogs, I would think it is an underweight female. I don't know if this animal is from the recent imports from Suriname, but it could be in need of medical attention or a good meal.

This is all by way of my opinion, of course. Good luck with "her/him", Richard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts