Dendroboard banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
It doesn't hurt FFs -- many media, homemade and commercial, use it. I use it, no problems. :)
I use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar in every single culture I make. No problems.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have been using ⅛ cup water + ⅛ cup vinegar Total ¼ cup of moisture mixed into ⅛ cup of home made media since the 1980s with no issues or problems.

Vinegar is not toxic to flies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the mold is staying pretty small, the maggots will churn it under fairly quickly. They actually have behavioral responses to help control molds on their foods. See for example Rohlfs, Marko. "Clash of kingdoms or why Drosophila larvae positively respond to fungal competitors." Frontiers in zoology 2.1 (2005): 2.

Clash of kingdoms or why Drosophila larvae positively respond to fungal competitors - Frontiers in Zoology

Competition with filamentous fungi and its implication for a gregarious lifestyle in insects living on ephemeral resources | Request PDF

Rohlfs, Marko, Björn Obmann, and Ralf Petersen. "Competition with filamentous fungi and its implication for a gregarious lifestyle in insects living on ephemeral resources." Ecological Entomology 30.5 (2005): 556-563.

Keep in mind that adding the yeast speeds up egg deposition as this is an oviposition cue for the adults.

Ed
I'm resurrecting this convo, since it's closely related to the issue I'm having. Hopefully you can offer additional insight, @Ed. Or maybe @Socratic Monologue or @fishingguy12345?

I have some white fuzzyish mold (with what looks like a greenish tinge? Hard to tell) in one fly culture, and I thought I might scrap the culture because the mold is still growing. However, lots of maggots have appeared over the last few days, which tells me the mold hasn't taken over and the flies are doing fine. I thought I read in another thread that it's ok to feed from the culture but not to make new cultures from it. So I don't plan to make more cultures from this one, but if it's safe to feed the flies to my frogs, is there any potential that they'll carry the mold into the viv -- and assuming I don't want this kind of mold in the viv? Or should I not feed from this culture at all?

I haven't pinpointed the exact issue that caused the mold, but I'm new to culturing flies and definitely going through some rounds of trial and error. 🙂 I'm using NEHERP premixed media with vinegar and baker's yeast added as they recommend. But I'm sure I made some technique blunders somewhere on this culture and the previous one -- my first culture did great with no issues and produced quite prolifically. So 🤷‍♀️. I'm going to switch to Repashy Superfly and maybe tweak a few things in my process to see if I get better results.

Tried to get a decent pic of the mold:
Drinkware Serveware Artifact Drink Art

·
Super Moderator
2,975 Posts
I'm no fruit fly culturing expert lol.

I've never had an issue with mold in any of my cultures.

I don't tend to like using "in the wild" but in the wild frogs would eat insects that have eaten all kinds of things including mold. I doubt it'll be harmful to your frogs .

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
If that species of mold is in your cxs, unless there's a biosecurity seal between it and your viv, that mold is in your viv too, but doesn't find the conditions in there favorable.

I think feeding them but not seeding with them is a good way to proceed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts