Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone ever tried this? I reckon it can't be that hard. If I were to make my own, is there anything wrong with leaving the husk on inside the tank? I can't see it being much different than having sphagnum moss in the tank..

Ideas?
Mark

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hi, I've made them before, they aren't too difficult. The hardest part was clearing it all out before I could cut them. I've heard of a few techniques that make getting the milk and meat out of the coconuts easier, so it's probably worth researching that to get some ideas of how to simplify it. Once it is dried and clean, cut them in half (if you haven't done this already) and I like to drill a couple of small holes (1/4-1/2" or so) in the top- the store bought ones have these sometimes and I guess it's for airflow so it isn't so stagnant and the eggs don't mold over. Then I just used a jigsaw to cut a little notch in the front for them to enter.
Good luck.
Bryan

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's pretty easy to make your own, just drill a nice large hole first then cut directly down the middle of the coconut. You will want to remove the husk, it will rot and it stinks something awful if you leave it in. I just leave the coconut halves in the sun for a few days and the husk shrinks off of the coconut wall, then you can just pry it the rest of the way off usually in one piece.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I thought about doing this but its too cheap to just buy them.

Locally for me (Central FL) they can run $2-3/ea. for a fresh coconut. Then the labor of splitting them, drilling them, and cleaning them.

The 10 and 48 packs of huts from Josh's Frogs turns out to be like $1.45-2/ea.

As a funny sidenote....my local Petco wants $7.99/ea for coco huts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/20123-diy-coco-hut.html
Cool link!

But I can find coconuts for around $1.25-1.50 each. Through Joshsfrogs, I still have to pay another $6 shipping, so it would be more expensive for me to order with them. My local stores dont have them for anything under $7/ea as well! It's insane, really.

Mark

EDIT: and Joshsfrogs currently has zero in stock, and is 12 in the hole for the individual pieces.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Wow! $7! My local petsmart has them for $3. And sometimes on sale for $2.50.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I did it with mine. Its not to bad. Just drill a hole in the middle and cut in half like tachikoma and Baltimore Bryan said and getting the milk out. Just boil it for like 30 mins ( warning its not a pleasant spell but is tolerable) then take a soon and it pops out with alittle force.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While we're on the subject, Are there any common stores that readily carry petri dishes? I'm really trying to avoid paying shipping 2x the amount of the cost of the order! :)

Mark

EDIT: Bryan, I'm in Baltimore too!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Call a biology department at a local university if you have one and see if they'll sell you some. As a student, that's where I've bought them before but I think most places will still sell to you as a non-student.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
For petri dishes, I just use plastic lids to things usually since I have them laying around. Those plastic frosting containers at the store have lids that are about the exact same size as petri dishes, so after someone in the house bakes a cake, I grab the lids for eggs.
Bryan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like I've got my next little project. Coco hut here I come

·
Registered
179 Posts
I make all of my own...will buy 4 or 5 coconuts at a time and do a bunch at a time. I can split one, pull the coco meat out and cut holes in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
+1 to above.. My fiance brought me home one.. just youtubed how to cut one open and did it. I drilled a hole in the top to drain. Smacked it with a large knife. It split perfectly. Then I used a spoon or butterknife and popped out the meat in big chunks. Just took about 15 mins total for two huts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts