Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get my leucs to call by playing a sound of a leuc calling on my laptop. Anyone else experience this before? Are they calling to compete with the male coming from laptop?

G

·
0 Posts
nope

I havent noticed that, but when I had only 2 females, I could play it and they would get all exited and obviously look for the source of the sound.

I tried it a minute ago and got no response from my male. He's been quiet this afternoon for some reason anyway though.

G

·
0 Posts
neato. I'll probably try and use that technique if I ever need to sex some frogs.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I used this experiment in college. I was studying the territoriality and tenacity of the male D.pumilio. I was actually mimicking the experiment. It was wild to watch the males seek out the source of the "male call" (microphone). They'd call like crazy after the experiment was over trying to out do the recording. That experiment got me hooked on PDFs.
Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Josh where did you get the recording from , sounds like afun experiment , what age are your Lucs ?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I did this with my Almirante Pumilio about a month ago. It was really cool to watch them look for the other male, when they don't seem to have a problem with each other (provided they're both males :? ). I also found it interesting that the call I played was from a Bastimentos pumilio, which sounds quite different.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Our leucs were our first frogs to start calling. They were already matured and producing viable eggs, but we were really excited about it. So Mike used his cell phone to record the call (he now uses it as his ring for when he gets a text message, pretty cool 8) ). So, we have learned that if you open the lid to the leucs tank and play the call off of his cell phone that the males (we have three) will call back to it as soon as it shuts up! We get a kick out of it. Anyone we have shown that trick to thinks it's pretty cool too! I can't wait to try it on our two little guys when the start to reach maturity to see if it can be a way to sex them.

-Shelley

G

·
0 Posts
I have a few recorded calls on my webiste, and have more I need to load up, but haven't had time. If I play any of the calls back, my males get a little aggitated.

I think it was Bill Duellman, that oublished a study on playing back calls with a decoy even. I will see if it was him or someone else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts