Dendroboard banner

361 - 370 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: Rubber rock molds?

For those of us whose sculpting abilities are negligible, is it possible to use the latex rubber molds often sold for model railroad scenery? they are designed for use with plaster, but has anyone ever tried applying a layer of grout, then after it cures, filling in the cavity with GS foam to keep it light?

Or even filling the mold with GS, then coating the resulting cast with grout?

... Just looking for an easy way out of studying geology and learning carving ...

Jim
I had a class on mold making and casting last semester. Are they latex or silicone molds? Nothing sticks to silicone molds. You can even paint the silicone before casting and the paint will be embedded in the casting material.
It sounds like a good idea. Casting resin would probably also work well.
John-Michael

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not soon enough. *sigh*

Too many things pulling me in too many directions.

I WANT to have it up and done by the end of this month but I'm not putting up something incomplete and half-assed.

I'm hoping for the site to be a concrete reference for beginners in this hobby as there is none at the moment. Just everyone's personal opinions on the forums with lots of contradicting info. There are only a few posters actually worth listening to, because unless their methods/designs have been replicated MULTPLE times and have been documented in detail, with exact material listings, how can someone trust it? I've already learned many lessons on what NOT to do by following bogus build journals.

But basically, when it?s ready. Which is more and more each day.
Is it safe to assume this is your website now? Vivariumworks.com

Anybody interested, here is the link to the tutorials page. I'm excited to read over all of these.

http://www.vivariumworks.com/build_journals_and_tutorials.html

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yea I got it up. More/less. Still a ton I probably need to add to it, but I've focused most of my free time on paintball related stuff for the past few years more so than vivarium. I still make backgrounds and rocks and such.

My custom formulation of silicone putty I've made available on the site. I use it when I go on vacation and extended paintball trips and make molds of various rock formation and trees. The molds can then be used to make low weight replicas. The field grade molding material, Exhibit:MOLD is good for in the field use and to make few molds/reproductions with, but it's not for production scale use. For that you'll need a different material. But for most people's uses, it works pretty well.

But yea, check out the various tutorials and how-to's I've setup on the site. Should give you and idea or two.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea I got it up. More/less. Still a ton I probably need to add to it, but I've focused most of my free time on paintball related stuff for the past few years more so than vivarium. I still make backgrounds and rocks and such.

My custom formulation of silicone putty I've made available on the site. I use it when I go on vacation and extended paintball trips and make molds of various rock formation and trees. The molds can then be used to make low weight replicas. The field grade molding material, Exhibit:MOLD is good for in the field use and to make few molds/reproductions with, but it's not for production scale use. For that you'll need a different material. But for most people's uses, it works pretty well.

But yea, check out the various tutorials and how-to's I've setup on the site. Should give you and idea or two.
I am glad you responded. I see a lot of the active members in posts from years ago haven't been pointing for quite a long while, so I am glad you are still here!

I saw your photos of doing the moldings with that green putty stuff, and saw you said it was "Exibit-mold" so naturally I looked it up on google trying to find some, it looks really fun to do. So once again, I am glad you replied, now I know I can get some on your site. Thanks!

361 - 370 of 370 Posts