Dendroboard banner

341 - 360 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi OH23,

Thanks, it was a bit of a hurry-work; I build the terrarium in about two days (took me a week to get all the materials), some things I would have done a little different when there was more time and better materials to work with..
There's two water-flows going from the top down, but this is not good to see on the pictures. (I didn't make any pictures, just got them from people around when I was working on it).

Hi Marcus,

You see that right; there's 'Redhead', 'Anchikaya' histrionica and 'Yellow' lehmanni in the vivarium.
On the second picture with frogs, you can see all three of them.

These are all c.b. frogs, offspring from confiscated parents who where about to get smuggled some years ago.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Excellent.

It would be very interesting if you could share your experiences in breeding these species, in the frogs and vivs part of the forum so as not to hijack this thread.

Regards
Marcus

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Marcus,

Offcourse I can share my experiences in breeding these frogs, only -like you say- this thread is about making fake rocks.
Other point is that these frogs are (not yet) legal in the hobby....so I would be helping people who buy illegal frogs, and maybe give others more motivation to do that too..
What I can say, is that there is absolutely no need to let the tads be raised by pumilio's..like you can read in other threads..

I see that i've missed a question from Brotherly Monkey, sorry for that; the epoxy mixed with the peat will not act as a sponge, if you don't put to much peat in the epoxy.
I mostly put one thin layer pure epoxy to close everything if it must be absolutely waterproof, then later the other layers mixed with the soil.

grts,
Fred.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Heya Fred,
what kind of epoxy do you use ( brand name also please )?

p.s. for 2 days of work and get this stuning results, i'm --->:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi OH23,

I don't know the brand of the epoxy I use here, it's the only one I can find here, probably imported from Korea or China like allmost everything here, and horrible stuff..
I'm sure you have much better epoxy overthere.

I have to use more then I do when I use the epoxy from Holland, but also there it's 3 times more expensive too.

It's best you use the things that people here on this thread allready recommend; they have experience with the materials over there.

With the same method you can also make nice tree-roots (that don't rot) for the terrarium, and lately I created a coral-reef for the Zoo here..(that was really a lot of work, and I'm no coral-expert)..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, and this is important; I read somewhere on this thread (or another one) someone who gave advice about using a gas burner to melt the styrofoam; let everybody please be very carfeull with this, and never use an open flame: in Holland some people got injured and burned because of an explosion.
The materials containing gases which cause the heave explosions with open fire..be carefull with it!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
OH23, though I never used it with any animals, least of all dart frogs, I have used "West Systems" marine epoxy in some small plant enclosures, and a friend has used it to build numerous reptile enclosures for lace monitors

·
Registered
80 Posts
Brotherly Monkey, i heard about "West Systems" marine epoxy and know that some of the members here use it, with success, but i'd like to know if any other, more common brands of epoxy would be okay to use.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I use a slow curing epoxy made by a company in Corpus Christi. They are called Dewey Supply. You'll have to call them up to order as they don't have a website. I use their Epo-Bond brand. It has a strong sweet smell but works really well for painting applications as long as you use a thin coat. A thiker coat will show the slightly amber color. I'm going to be carrying this product on my online store when its up as I use it with great results. It doesn't yellow or fade due to UV like polyester resin will.

But as for a local place that you can go to pickup clear epoxy, I've yet to find one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
VivariumWorks, thanks for the input. this is very good information that will save me time on finding the right product.
thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
about what type of epoxy and your cement question monkey just read or skim over all the posts here. unless you have done this already. it pretty much covers all the different ways it has been done with stuff in the u.s. and in europe. there is alot of different methods the people have used. too bad some of the pics posted are no longer able to be viewed, the pics from hx.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I use a slow curing epoxy made by a company in Corpus Christi. They are called Dewey Supply. You'll have to call them up to order as they don't have a website. I use their Epo-Bond brand. It has a strong sweet smell but works really well for painting applications as long as you use a thin coat. A thiker coat will show the slightly amber color. I'm going to be carrying this product on my online store when its up as I use it with great results. It doesn't yellow or fade due to UV like polyester resin will.

But as for a local place that you can go to pickup clear epoxy, I've yet to find one.
I was gonna ask you about your website. It looks great so far, when do you think the tutorial section will be up?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not soon enough. *sigh*

Too many things pulling me in too many directions.

I WANT to have it up and done by the end of this month but I'm not putting up something incomplete and half-assed.

I'm hoping for the site to be a concrete reference for beginners in this hobby as there is none at the moment. Just everyone's personal opinions on the forums with lots of contradicting info. There are only a few posters actually worth listening to, because unless their methods/designs have been replicated MULTPLE times and have been documented in detail, with exact material listings, how can someone trust it? I've already learned many lessons on what NOT to do by following bogus build journals.

But basically, when it’s ready. Which is more and more each day.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree.. no need to rush to put up crap. Looks great so far though. I can't wait to dive into your tutorials on how you make such awesome molds. I'm getting ready to make twin 40g verts and I'd love to make some great cast stumps/trees instead of foam/grout.

Great job!

·
Registered
448 Posts
One of the molding methods I have used will be on the tutorial section.

Just FYI though, its not cheep. Mold casting is pretty expensive. The end results are worth while, but its not for the tight budgeted for sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how to make fake rock for backgrounds? It's not for darts, but it does need to be able to be submerged long-term. Would great stuff work?
Yeah, lot of european like me, use stirofoam tables, cutting the form, cover with concrete, and paint with acrylic paints. It's a link, where you can see a half done background with a small (cca. 50 cm high) waterfall.

Vivarium | Facebook

Ask me on my e-mail address if it's something like you want. I'll explain how to make it. Sorry for my english, I'm a hungarian :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
go to home improvement/hardware stores for the styrofoam. comes in big sheets.
like i wrote before just check the earlier posts. some of the questions you are asking where answered in the earlier posts.

341 - 360 of 370 Posts