Dendroboard banner

321 - 340 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
This has been one of the most informative threads I've read ever. Unfortunately, a lot of pics are gone since the thread began, but this is some really inspiring work.

HX, I went looking for this thread after seeing your work on fake roots and reading that thread.

As others have said many times, you should really do it professionally. I've seen less quality work in zoos than you are doing at home.

I'm going to give this and your root idea a try. I doubt I'll get the same results, but I am really inspired to try it.

Many people have done really well using your technique and I hope to join the ranks. Making those backgrounds looks like it really can add to the enjoyment of keeping vivariums.

Again, thanks for sharing all this information and giving me a level to aspire to. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree completely with Lycosa.
But just wondering wether those pitures could be reinstalled.
Or could you do it yourself HX?
The words are just about enough, but the pictures complete it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You are too kind.

I'm not sure whether even I have the vanished pics anymore, sorry. I'll see what I can do.

But: we have had talks of a spinoff article with Kyle. I have been occupied with other stuff for awhile, but I think I could be able to live up to the plans during the end of the summer/early fall.

So stay tuned and thank you for your words.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Interesting thread!

We also use epoxy in Holland for terrariums.
This one I build here in Colombia for a nature protection-expo.

grts.
That is top notch....is that concrete/grout with epoxy over it? Or just epoxy resin.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi JoshH,

Thanks, it is styrofoam (the whole terrarium) with partly a sort of cement we use for bathrooms (don't know if that's grout), and epoxy mixed with different colours of soil like clay and sand.

Also over the epoxy I used a little bit of very fine soil, this allow moss and plants more easy to grow over it.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
The only time I ever used epoxy was pouring it over pieces. How many coats are usually required when painting or doing a roll on, and if doing this over a cement or grout mixture, do you still need to leach the cement?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi brotherly monkey,

I don't know if the question was for me to answer, but yeah, it is very important to clean the tank very well before you put your frogs in.

I would say; try to flush it with water many times during at least one week, or/and leave -when possible- the tank outside in the fresh air for a while.

Don't make the misstake to put your frogs in there to soon..
good luck!

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
I understand that the epoxy would need time to properly cure and off-gas. But I figured doing such a treatment would allow one to get around the need to leach the cement, since the epoxy would be forming a water proof barrier over it

·
Registered
242 Posts
"I understand that the epoxy would need time to properly cure and off-gas. But I figured doing such a treatment would allow one to get around the need to leach the cement, since the epoxy would be forming a water proof barrier over it "

Even if you intend to completely seal the background, I think it is prudent to acid wash or soak the cement before you decide to epoxy it. In the event that the integrity of the epoxy is compromised and the seal you wish to create in using it is broken, it would be best to have done your best to neutralize the situation (literally!). Epoxy is tough, but it can be broken, and with plants growing, movement of a waterfall, etc.. it is not hard to imagine it being compromised in one part of the a large background.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It sounds logical that the epoxy only need some time and no water to clean it out, first I thought the same because it forms a waterproof skin..

After using the epoxy you can notice a very intoxicating smell in the tanks; depending on the material used together with the epoxy this can be more or less intense. (I've noticed with peat it's very intense, probably has something to do with the acid-level).

When I leave the tanks outside without doing nothing further, it can take a long time (more then one month) before the smell is gone, if I flush it with water one or two times a day, it is gone within one week.

To clean out the cement under the epoxy, is offcourse a possibility, I never do that because I just use a very thin layer of the cement (when I use it), and when in time the epoxy would be broken somewhere, it wil be just very small, and not the total skin coming off at once, so I quess that will not give a big impact.

But if you would use a thick layer of cement, it is something to consider offcourse.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
It's a large front opening viv. So i was basically trying to get around the need to to build something to large enough to emerse it in

But if I'm going to take the time to build the thing in the first place, it's not going to be much more trouble the build a small pond, or tank using some plastic and 2x4s. Especially if it will help with the off-gassing.

PS I wonder if the issue with peat increasing issues with fumes is due to the larger surface from it acting as a sponge

·
Registered
210 Posts
On request by p.m. here are some pictures of making some fake-rocks.

This is a 8-side terrarium for a conservation-project expo in Colombia.

Attachments

321 - 340 of 370 Posts